Hi everyone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimlakeside

Reaction score
About a month ago, I was looking for a unique Christmas gift for several women whom I work with, so I decided to try a soap recipe and now I'm hooked. My soap is getting better but I have a lot to learn. So far I am just giving away what I make. It's a lot of fun and I plan on continuing to make more soap. This is a great forum.

Jim

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of great information here.

I would be very careful about sending new soaps out as gifts without a "do not use until" date on them. Soap and wine need to cure. Here's a link: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57833&highlight=cure+time

I do not mean to criticize in any way. This is something that was pointed out to me here. It really really improves with age.

There are a bunch of great teachers here!

No criticism taken. After several attempts, I was able to make a hot process soap and let cure for a week. Then I told everyone to wait one to two weeks before using.

Welcome

I would even wait with giving away until you know more about your soap. Waiting will tell you that your HP soaps are best after a 4 week cure - usable before hand, certainly, but liable to be used up much sooner than they should be if you let them age.

When you are giving anything to anyone, you should really KNOW how long they should leave it for from experience.

About a month ago, I was looking for a unique Christmas gift for several women whom I work with, so I decided to try a soap recipe and now I'm hooked. My soap is getting better but I have a lot to learn. So far I am just giving away what I make. It's a lot of fun and I plan on continuing to make more soap. This is a great forum.

Jim

I agree, this is a great forum! Welcome!

Welcome

I would even wait with giving away until you know more about your soap. Waiting will tell you that your HP soaps are best after a 4 week cure - usable before hand, certainly, but liable to be used up much sooner than they should be if you let them age.

When you are giving anything to anyone, you should really KNOW how long they should leave it for from experience.

Good points everyone. Thanks.

Hi and welcome :)
We all test out our soaps early - and by doing that you can see for yourself what a good cure does. Once you have a few soaps in the works the curing wait seems like nothing.

Welcome to the addiction, Jim! :wave:

As I always like to say, soap is a lot like wine or cheese. It's only half as good when young when compared to its well-aged/cured self.

IrishLass :)

Hi there and welcome. I'm new here as well and learning very quickly...there is definitely a ton of info here!

Latest posts

Back