Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msidahocgirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm brand new to the whole concept of making soap yourself! I am so new that I haven't even made my first batch yet! :shock: I've heard from others in my area, Twin Falls, Idaho, that no one was willing to buy the person's soap. Not sure why, if it was the scent, presentation, or plain didn't have the right personality...but I would like to make my first adventure in this area a smooth transition. Right now I own a Face Painting business and have done a lot of the local Farmers Markets and Festivals in the area. So any input for homemade soap being included at my booth would be sincerely appreciated and welcome. So my question is this:
If you were brand new and starting out, what would be the best advice that you would give yourself?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Amy C
Faces-by-Amy.com

hi Amy :
the first and most important advice i think i can give is : know and research the craft fully , avoid shortcuts coming right out of the gate until you comprehend why they are there. upon good and full research you will find a soap making process that may suit your taste and resources. and lastly always remember that you represent the craft on a whole, and your product will represent your love for that craft , if you love it it will show ....have fun,have fun, have fun.

welcome to you :)

Welcome Amy.

My advice is research research,research and read, all the info you require to make your first soap is here on the forum. Try getting the process right before adding scents and colour. I wouldn't start selling until you are confident in your product and know how it will perform down the track.

I've heard from others in my area, Twin Falls, Idaho, that no one was willing to buy the person's soap. Not sure why, if it was the scent, presentation, or plain didn't have the right personality...but I would like to make my first adventure in this area a smooth transition.

I ... am missing some info there I think? Were you talking about another soapmaker from whom you got the idea to make soap? I am confused :)

In any case, welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you!

Thanks la-rene!
Lion Of Judah, yeah I completely understand that part, as I am a voratious reader to begin with. Before I ever try something new, I'm reading/watching vids as much as possible.
Relle9, from everything I've read/watched so far, it sounds as though you have to basically come up with alot of your own formulas for stuff as different things from different vendors act differently (that sounds funny I know lol).
MaitriBB, I got the idea when I stumbled across a soap queen youtube video. Then started talking to my bf about the idea. He said his ex tried making/selling soap in the area and didn't sell a single bar. Another friend last night basically said the same thing. Shrug. I guess the family and friends will have amazing soap for a while then hahaha

Hi Amy,

Welcome, I'm just new too! I would recommend, getting a soap or melt and pour kit first of all, and as Lion Of Judah, adv a lot of research. It is more trial and error. TBH i came across a link which told me it takes weeks to make.. now all i need is MP soap and 2-3 hours :)

if you wana chill out on skype let me know. always looking for new friends!

hey bridgetmoon, I don't have Skype but I think it comes in the Facebook application/chat thingy, but its not that reliable. Might just be my internet connection. But I would love to meet up with all sorts of soapers and learn more from their mistakes. LOL cheating maybe just a little but heck why not? I already placed my "huge" order for stuff to do the CP soaps but the melt and pour looks pretty kewl as well. I'll be sure and post my first couple of batches when I start though ;) anywho, you can find me on Facebook under Amy Sage Christensen

Wow, can you believe how fast time flies. I don't post much on this forum as I'm always on Facebook nowadays. Amazing how far I've come in this journey. I love it. I did stick with CP for my first two years, now I'm venturing into the scrubs, lip balms and bath treats. I've loved ever step so far! Come find me on Facebook anytime you want to chat! Amy Christensen or ((link removed)) or my West Coast Soap Supplies Group!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back