Hey Payl... Would you do us a favor??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Would you please put up a tutorial on making up lye water ahead of time and using it in future batches? I'd like to do this because thanks to faithy, I now only do RTCP. And, sometimes I don't want to have to wait forever for the lye water to cool down.

Thank you in advance. And, thank you for all you do!!

Robert

Me too!! on more instructions. I just did my first batch of RTCP today and have it poured up into the molds. My lye solution was about 80 or 82 and my oils around 90. Now is this suppose to heat up after pouring? I covered them for awhile, but they never did even get warm so I uncovered them. Everything looks so nice and creamy right now, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed. On top this being my first batch of RTCP I also took out some soap at light trace, added color and did some swirls. l I can hardly wait to see what is going to happen. I keep going in and looking ever little bit.

Jean, I have a soap that I make with Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil and Olive Oil only. It never gets hot. Barely even gets warm. And, it never gells. But, it sets up very quick and gets hard as a brick! I have another one that I make with Crisco, Lard, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil. and Olive Oil. That soap gets hot enough to pop popcorn on!! lol And, it always gells. But, it never gets as hard as the other soap. I don't know why the difference. I'm sure that it has something to do with different chemical reactions between the different oils and the lye. By the way, both are made by Paul's RTCP method.

I'm sure your soap will turn out fine. I'd love to see some pics of it if you get the time.

Good luck,
Robert

pink-north said:
Paul, I would like to learn more about this RTCP method. It's intriguing to me.

I know I'm not Paul, but here's the "down and dirty" about RTCP. RTCP stands for Room Temperature Cold Process. It's basically the same thing as CP (Cold Process) except you don't worry about the oils and lye being at a certain temp. You make up your lye solution, melt your oils, and let everything sit until room temperature. When everything is at room temp., just combine and procede as you would for CP.

Hope that helps,
Robert

OK, you guys have talked me into it. :lol: I'll get that up as soon as possible. :wink:

Robert, you are right, but I have a unique twist I call the Paul RTCP Version. Actually Robert, the regular RTCP uses the hot lye solution to melt the room temperature solid oils; not my method! My RTCP is totally different than this "normal" method. :wink:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
OK, you guys have talked me into it. :lol: I'll get that up as soon as possible. :wink:

Robert, you are right, but I have a unique twist I call the Paul RTCP Version. Actually Robert, the regular RTCP uses the hot lye solution to melt the room temperature solid oils; not my method! My RTCP is totally different than this "normal" method. :wink:

Paul

*whew*

Then i'm doing it the right way because my lye/liquid's are all room temp as well as the oils.....

Thanks Paul. I'll be watching for it!

faithy said:
*whew*

Then i'm doing it the right way because my lye/liquid's are all room temp as well as the oils.....

Me too, Faithy!! :wink:

Faithy;

Do you use a heating pad or the oven on your RTCP? Ive had a couple batches lately using regular CP method that didnt want to gel so I used
the oven to force it to gel. I was wondering about this RTCP, if it gells on its own and does it trace as normal? AND after making some whipped soap at cold temp for everything, like refridgerator cold for oils and lye I was wondering if you think the process would trace at cold temps?

No I don't use a heating pad or the oven with I RTCP.

All my ingredients are all at room temp, the oils and the liquids. And when I simply pour them into molds. I have used a cardboard box as a mold and I have wrapped it in a quilt (small one) or left it on the counter top just covered with a tea towel. And they have always gelled and gotten hot, even with using cool lye/liquid and oils that we not heated in any way shape or form.

Trace is a bit different with RTCP soaps, but there is a definite difference because once you add your lye/liquid it's like a soupy slurry. But when you reach trace there is a definite thickening to it. It sorta reminds me of making jell-O Pudding, but not thick like when it's fully set up, but not runny when you first start making it.

But I have found you don't need to add any heat to it, the chemical reaction takes place on it's own. It's not instant but it does happen.

Okay, I will post pictures later today. It looks pretty good right now. Going to let it sit for a couple more hours before I take it out of the mold.

It is the fastest, easiest way of CP soaping! Another benefit since the oils are in the low 70's most of the time, the super cool temps let you have plenty of time to colour and work with finicky scents. :lol:

Paul

Back