Hey, another newbie here.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I am 48, a mom of 4 kids and 1 (very old) dog, happily married for 16 years to my awesome husband, grandma to 4, soon to be 5. I live in central Florida, and my 'real' job is taking care of 80+acres of Christian Campground and it's buildings. Woodworking is my first hobby/maker love, and I'm just getting started making soap. Well, sort of, I've been making it for family and friends for about 3 years.

I got into soap making because my mom developed a really strange allergy in her late 60's. She is allergic to propylene glycol, and ALL of it's derivatives! That stuff is in EVERYTHING!! I've also made her sunscreen and bug spray that she can use, as well as an essential oil blend that she can use if she does come into contact with propylene glycol (that works better than the prescription ointment she has). She can't just go to a restroom somewhere and wash her hands, not with their soap anyway. It bothered her that people looked at her funny for not washing her hands before leaving the restroom. So, I recently made her some tiny travel soaps that she can keep in her purse. They work pretty well, and she says she loves them! She's already come back for a second batch.

I think that about does it for introducing myself. Hope everyone has a great day!

Welcome.gif

She is allergic to propylene glycol, and ALL of it's derivatives! That stuff is in EVERYTHING!!
I hear that! Me too!

All that stuff you make for your mom? AWESOME! Would you please adopt me? I'd like to be on the receiving end of all you do! Your mother is truly blessed with a daughter like you. :nodding:

I hear that! Me too!
WOW!! Are you saying you're allergic to that too?!? We've never even heard of anyone else with this allergy. Not that we thought she was the only one on the planet with it....but, ya know. And thank you! I LOVE purple, so the purple rose is perfect!! ;) The next thing I need to work on is deodorant, I can't find a recipe I like, they're all either too hard, or sticky. :(

Y'all are sweet, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm the one who was blessed to be her daughter! My mom is pretty great!

Y'all are sweet, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm the one who was blessed to be her daughter! My mom is pretty great!
Update:
There are a number of variants in the recipes in the thread that I posted (for the deoderant) - the value in using this thread for research is the recipes and the feedback on each of the variants (and reasons why people moved to this type of deo). For those of us who suffer from allergies (or, like the wonderful you, assist others with theirs!), threads like these are a godsend 😘

Some of the recipes have been updated to make a harder "push-bar" kind of deoderant, but the simplest variant (that IrishLass from here posted) is directly applied and contains just two ingredients
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/de-funk-de-pits.60682/post-728918
Another (smaller) thread that is a spin-off from the original one contains a more complex recipe, but you would have to check the additives for sensitivity (it is a roll-on/push-bar type). This is the recipe post for that one
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/hard-babassu-oil-for-deodorant.72028/#post-728149

sawdustandsoapdsuds, please disregard my following comment (it is off topic).
ACK! However well intended, that thread is 36 pages to slog through!
Your "well-intended" comment comes across as patronizing.
(I bring to your attention a certain "castille" thread you often refer people to also happens to be 36 pages long)

Your "well-intended" comment comes across as patronizing.
(I bring to your attention a certain "castille" thread you often refer people to also happens to be 36 pages long)
LOL NOT MY FAULT!!! 🤣

Seriously, you have no idea how hard I have tried to get ADMIN/MODS to close theads at 15 pp -- HUGE bruhaha when @Irish Lass and I tried it with ZNSC!

I remember when I first joined it took me 4 hours, over 2 nights, to slog through one of those long threads. I just wanted to give @sawdustandsoapsuds a head's up.

Not complaining; just saying...

I sincerely apologize that I offended you Marsi. Next time, please "Assume positive intent." I have the utmost respect for you and all you share with the group. It's really sweet of you to take the time to further advise. My focus was on that thread. Good info but waaaaay too long. JMHO

Welcome! You are in good company - many of us here have weird allergies or sensitivities.

There are some good deodorant recipes and tips in that thread. I also use the information from a deodorant-making e-book that I purchased from Tina Moenck's website.
Thank you! I look forward to learning as much as I possibly can from all of y'all!

@Marsi Thank you, 36 pages don't scare me, and as long as it doesn't contain propylene glycol, one of its derivatives, peppermint oil, or cinnamic aldehyde, my mom can use it! (I have no idea what cinnamic aldehyde even is, perhaps I should google that! :D

@Zany_in_CO Thanks for the heads up! I will glean what I can from it, however long it is! :)

@IrishLass Thank you! I think it was actually one of your threads (My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS tutorial) that brought me to this site! So, I actually owe you a double thank you. BTW, I'm relatively new to all of this, what is GLS? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

what is GLS?
GLS = Glycerin Liquid Soap -- where glycerin is subbed for all or part of the water to make the KOH solution for liquid soap.

It was cutting edge technology in 2011 when Carried Petersen first posted her video on YouTube. It changed the making of LS forever. 100% olive oil LS used to take hours to trace and hours to cook. Now I can make it in all of 2 minutes or so using her technique.

CARRIE PETERSEN'S GLYCERIN LS

CAUTION: NOT for beginners due to the high heat and toxic fumes if you scorch the batch.

GLS = Glycerin Liquid Soap -- where glycerin is subbed for all or part of the water to make the KOH solution for liquid soap.

It was cutting edge technology in 2011 when Carried Petersen first posted her video on YouTube. It changed the making of LS forever. 100% olive oil LS used to take hours to trace and hours to cook. Now I can make it in all of 2 minutes or so using her technique.

CARRIE PETERSEN'S GLYCERIN LS

CAUTION: NOT for beginners due to the high heat and toxic fumes if you scorch the batch.
Ok, I'll check it out and see where I'm at, skill wise, with attempting this one. I have no desire to inhale toxic fumes trying to make soap! :/ But I do want to try liquid soap, which is why I bookmarked Irish Lass' post. Thank you, I was wondering if the G was glycerin, but I do my best not to assume, that's gotten me in more trouble than I needed!! :')

Ok, I'll check it out and see where I'm at, skill wise, with attempting this one. I have no desire to inhale toxic fumes trying to make soap! :/
Oh no! :nonono: I wasn't suggesting you try it! Not at all! Just an FYI on liquid soap making and how it's changed over the years. I like to say, "There are as many different ways to make LS as there are LS-ers!" It's true.

Oh no! :nonono: I wasn't suggesting you try it! Not at all! Just an FYI on liquid soap making and how it's changed over the years. I like to say, "There are as many different ways to make LS as there are LS-ers!" It's true.
Hahaha, I've been wanting to try it, that's why I'd bookmarked the tutorial Irish Lass posted. But I definitely want to be sure that I have the skill set to do it before I try it. I'm pretty new at making soap, but I have made quite a bit of it over the last 2-3 years. Most of it went to family and friends (which I seem to have a LOT more friends when I'm giving away soap), but at any rate I wouldn't attempt if I don't feel confident that I could do it safely. It is in my list of things to do, I just don't have a time frame as of yet.

Welcome @sawdustandsoapsuds!
That's a beautiful thing what your doing for your mom! Good for you!
I make home made deodorant that works really well.
If you like I can share the exact recipe, took about 2 years to get it right for me. I wanted something that was effective and I could put in a reusable Dove tipe stick and be able to use without getting my fingers messy.
It uses Shea butter, zinc oxide, diatomaceous earth, beeswax, maybe CO too, and a few drops of tea tree oil.
Definitely whatever recipe you try stay away from baking soda, I got major reaction from it and so does a lot of people.
I found this one:
https://liagriffith.com/homemade-all-natural-deodorant-recipe/
I'm away on vacation and I won't have access to the recipe until I get home on first week of January. If you're interested let me know and I'll add a reminder to send it to you.

Hey y'all! I am 48, a mom of 4 kids and 1 (very old) dog, happily married for 16 years to my awesome husband, grandma to 4, soon to be 5. I live in central Florida, and my 'real' job is taking care of 80+acres of Christian Campground and it's buildings. Woodworking is my first hobby/maker love, and I'm just getting started making soap. Well, sort of, I've been making it for family and friends for about 3 years.

I got into soap making because my mom developed a really strange allergy in her late 60's. She is allergic to propylene glycol, and ALL of it's derivatives! That stuff is in EVERYTHING!! I've also made her sunscreen and bug spray that she can use, as well as an essential oil blend that she can use if she does come into contact with propylene glycol (that works better than the prescription ointment she has). She can't just go to a restroom somewhere and wash her hands, not with their soap anyway. It bothered her that people looked at her funny for not washing her hands before leaving the restroom. So, I recently made her some tiny travel soaps that she can keep in her purse. They work pretty well, and she says she loves them! She's already come back for a second batch.

I think that about does it for introducing myself. Hope everyone has a great day!
Hello! Welcome 😊

Latest posts

Back