Here in Ohio

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, I'm glad I learned about this acquisition. I have a special order from some soaps with RE's Bora Bora FO. I used the last of what I had, and since it will now be shipped by WSP rather than RE, I will need to order more right away if I want the soaps to be made and cured before the end of summer!
I'm not sure that WSP is shipping for RE. I don't use RE as a supplier, but I seem to remember that they are still operating in the same location and separate from WSP. I do know that Elements is still carrying their own product line and operating from the same place. My problem with my Elements order was...
...I needed some no stir palm, and since I don't use palm that often I thought I had another bucket - but didn't. So I needed to order from a supplier I knew would get it to me in a reasonable amount of time. I have used Elements in the past, so checked there. It was listed as out of stock on the website, but as soon as the OOS notation was removed I placed my order. I added 2 bottles of sodium lactate and some Vanilla FO and pipettes - none of which I really needed but, you know, shipping. I got my order confirmation, and then a day or so later the shipping notice - which said the palm was OOS, but would be shipped when it was available - 'at no additional cost'. Um, hello, I've already paid for the palm and the shipping for that. So I sent an email (the contact us email now goes to WSP) - no response. After a few days I called - no available representatives so please hold - wait time of 7 minutes. I hold. After 7 minutes the call automatically goes to 'leave a voice mail' but guess what? The voicemail is full and I can't leave a message. I automatically go back to the 'please hold' queue and my wait time is now 5 minutes. This went on for awhile and I finally had someone pick up the phone. I asked if she could tell me when the palm oil would be back in stock. No, she really couldn't say. I asked if that part of the order could be cancelled so it wouldn't ship later and refunded. Why yes - she could do that. She told me the amount she was going to refund to my CC - it was for the palm only. I asked if she would adjust the shipping charges (because this was an order from Elements which doesn't have free shipping). Well, okay she would do that too. My order arrives and the box felt suspiciously light. No sodium lactate, with a packing notice that said it was OOS and I would receive a refund for the 2 bottles I ordered. So, I have now received a bottle of FO and some pipettes I really didn't need, and am still being overcharged for shipping and tax. I sent another email (as it was over the weekend). Sometime over the next couple of days, I did finally receive a response from someone at Elements who was more helpful. He was actually responding to the first email I had sent - I was wondering why on my order page I was seeing 'you could save $XX if I ordered from WSP'. But, since I had him there I explained the issues I was having. He looked at the order and said there was a credit pending and he would push it through. But it still didn't cover the whole difference in the shipping and tax I was charged. He said there was another $8 credit that I should see in a few days pending as well. It ended up taking a month, but I did get most of the difference between what I ordered and was charged (including shipping and tax) and what I received (with what the shipping and tax should have been).

I really hope the problems I had were only temporary and that things improve again at Elements. I've always been very happy with their products and service, and am willing to give them another try. Although I have to say, I don't like finding out after I receive my order that something is out of stock and not included. If I were selling and relying on something I ordered to be delivered, and only found out I wouldn't be getting it a week or more after I ordered it - that could be a big problem.

I'm in Ohio too and like to buy in the Midwest as much as I can to save on shipping cost and time. I like Bulk Apothecary when the items are in stock. They usually ship fast, and even with small orders the promo code "savings10" always works for me and saves 10%. Jedwards is another good source but a little pricier and shipping is a little longer since they are on the east coast.

The issues with WSP seem to have started after the President and CEO changed. Debbie May stepped down in late January of 2020.

Edit: After looking at reviews on yelp it seems shipping has always been an issue.

Last edited:
I'm in Ohio too and like to buy in the Midwest as much as I can to save on shipping cost and time. I like Bulk Apothecary when the items are in stock. They usually ship fast, and even with small orders the promo code "savings10" always works for me and saves 10%. Jedwards is another good source but a little pricier and shipping is a little longer since they are on the east coast.
Thank you😊

The issues with WSP seem to have started after the President and CEO changed. Debbie May stepped down in late January of 2020.

Edit: After looking at reviews on yelp it seems shipping has always been an issue.
Ordered once took over a month and that was last year..will have to plan better when use again..

I agree with your first statement. I used WSP for 10 years -- up until I retired in 2017. If I spent $500 in a 12-month period I achieved "Silver" status that came with discounts on every order, other discounts and Freebies. It was well worth the money saved. Shipping and Customer Service was very good. Maybe because I contacted Debbie May directly rather than going through the website.

As for the second statement, I received an order in February 2021 that arrived in a mess. Call it sloppy packing. I lucked out. The gal I talked to made it right, replacing damaged goods within a couple of days. But that was before the LockDown.

For the past several months, almost a year, they're running Weekly Sales. No doubt to deplete overstock items. So many crafters and vitually no Markets or Events in 2020. When I think about, they are doing their level best to stay alive but with customers taking advantage of the sales, and most likely being understaffed, and the unreliability of "whatever" shipping service (who has the same problems) they use, it's a real challenge.

It's also the "New Normal" so we might as well get used to it until things level out -- and God only knows how long that will take.

The next crisis will be shortages across the board due to lack of raw materals and fewer companies, the ones that survived the lack of business, providing necessary infrastructure.

I was poking around earlier and both Rustic and WSP mention on their sites about the acquisition of Rustic by WSP, though Rustic has their own customer service.

However Elements and WSP say nothing about THEIR merger... but the Elements site has the same customer service number as WSP.

Which is a bit shady I think... being honest about one but clandestine with the other.
It's my understanding that WSP is buying up a LOT of smaller companies including Make Your Own Buzz 😬

Thank you all for the great information..I finally placed my order of cocoa butter,beeswax,shea butter ( still have but why not already spending😊) and last poly 80 since I want to learn bath bombs and keep hearing I have to use it,but don't wanna...any how went with Soapers Choice and shipping was $26 dont think that bad. Now on the hunt for wax for melts and other odds and end...thank you all and will be back for more advice.. searching, asking or Googling and bringing me here that way👍😊

Thank you all for the great information..I finally placed my order of cocoa butter,beeswax,shea butter ( still have but why not already spending😊) and last poly 80 since I want to learn bath bombs and keep hearing I have to use it,but don't wanna...any how went with Soapers Choice and shipping was $26 dont think that bad. Now on the hunt for wax for melts and other odds and end...thank you all and will be back for more advice.. searching, asking or Googling and bringing me here that way👍😊

Candlemakers Store north of Cincy has wax.

Hope

Hmmm ... that doesn't sound good. I use Make Your Own Buzz a lot. They are owned by Chemistry Connection who also owns Save On Citric.
Actually, it is not really WSP who is buying them. It is Incline Equity, who acquired WSP in 2019, who is buying them. See this thread: WSP Acquires Rustic & Elements

Sounds like it is going to become the big box store of soap supplies which means they might be able to push a lot of the smaller sellers out the door. It makes me mad so I am going to start looking at the smaller businesses and try buying more from them as I don't think their prices are going to make my soaps go up that much in price.

I am going to start looking at the smaller businesses and try buying more from them...
You might want to take a tour of MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) in Utah to see all they have to offer. I used them exclusively when I started soapmaking in 2004. They are family-owned -- top-quality products, tech support, packaging of orders is the best, good recipe library for more than just soap, an active blog that's worth joining and shipping used take 3 days to CO but I'm not sure if they can keep it up at this time. Some things are just out of their control like everybody else I imagine. ;)

Back