Herbal Extracts in Zany's No Slime Castile formula

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laraffinee

Reaction score
Zany's No Slime Castile Soap formula looks like a winning classic, for which many of us in this forum are truly grateful!
I am looking to add herbal extracts to potentially increase the healing effect of the soap on the skin.
My question is: - liquid herbal extracts, would they be added to the water mixture before adding to the oil or after it starts to trace? Thank you so much!

I agree with @Misschief . I use liquid extracts in leave-on products.

For soap, and especially ZNSC, i would infuse the olive oil with soothing calendula (yellow) or healing comfrey (green). Carrot Oil is also very good for skin. The recipe below calls for sunflower oil but it creates slimy ZNSC, at least that was the case when I used a bit of leftover comfrey oil in a batch, so I would sub Olive Oil.

CARROT TISSUE OIL

Another option for you to consider is using essential oils.

ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SKINCARE

Helichrysum EO is pricey but recommended for eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.

ETA: For EO Use Rates check out this thread: EO Education

Last edited:
I agree with @Misschief . I use liquid extracts in leave-on products.

For soap, and especially ZNSC, i would infuse the olive oil with soothing calendula (yellow) or healing comfrey (green). Carrot Oil is also very good for skin. The recipe below calls for sunflower oil but it creates slime ZNSC, at least that was the case when I used a bit of leftover comfrey oil in a batch, so I would sub Olive Oil.

CARROT TISSUE OIL

Another option for you to consider is using essential oils

ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SKINCARE

Helichyrisum EO is pricey but recommended for eczema, psoriasis and
You're amazing!

Thank you all for your suggestions! Yes, Helichrysium would be good, but given that price, for sure for leave on skin products only.

I had a Birch bark soap as a child...loved it and is was great for the skin...a country doctor we went to made it. Wish I had gotten the formula before he passed. His family discarded everything...so sad. Anyway, I am trying to reproduce that soap. I don't know if he made ash from Birch bark and then made the lye and soap from that or added a tincture or tea of the birch bark.....I really want to find a way to recreate it.

I had a Birch bark soap as a child...loved it and is was great for the skin...a country doctor we went to made it.
As it happens, I use White Birch Bark essential oil in a blend for lotion that helps ease the pain of arthritis and fibromyalgia. So I'm familiar with that. But that's not the same as the oil used to make soap.

For that, you need to go into the wild, strip bark off a birch tree and cook it down over a hot fire in a pot with a drain hole in the bottom to catch the oil in a tin can set in the ground. There are a couple of YouTube videos that show the process of making the oil and then adding it to olive oil & lye to make the soap at a rate of 2-5% (max) according to the video. So it's doable with ZNSC!

How to Make Birch Bar Soap

Birch Bark Oil Helps Heal Skin

Birch Bark Tar for Sale

ETA: There are a lot of Birch Bark Soaps for sale on that Etsy site -- with different ingredients. The one in the YT video is light tan. The ones on Etsy are all dark brown. Probably because of the recommendation on YT of less than 5% birch oil. The Etsy ones may be similara to Pine Tar soaps and use 12-20%.
Not sure. :smallshrug:

Last edited:
Thank you, Zany! Yes...I think the soap I had as a child had the Birch Bark Tar in it! I remember the smell. I saw the video on how to make it.....probably going to purchase ready made 😂....can't see myself digging the pit and all. It all seems to come from Russia, and I don't know how that is going to transport etc. I made a lotion with Birch Bark tar that I got from Canada years ago....amazing lotion for the skin, but I can't find a made in Canada source yet. Thank you so much, Zany for all you contribute! You really help us DIYers!

Thank you so much, Zany for all you contribute! You really help us DIYers!
You are so very welcome! Birch Bark Soap is a new one for me. So I thank you for introducing SMF to it. When you make it, please mention it in the Title so it's easy to find.
I can't find a made in Canada source yet
Why Canada? You're in the USA right?
probably going to purchase ready made
Me too! I'll be purchasing from that Etsy site. :thumbup: :)

Latest posts

Back