hemp seed oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to decide between

1. hemp seed oil natural unrefined $10.95/16oz

2. hemp seed oil ultra refined $9/lb

at wsp.

Which would be best for CP soap?

Beats me. Thats odd that unrefined is more expensive than refined. I would be inclined to get unrefined. Have you looked at colombus foods? they might not have a very good shipping rate, though,

The reason I posted my question is that I'm shopping at WSP have a modestly large order, and I wanted to experiment with hemp seed oil because my favorite River Soap Co. soap has it, and I want to buy some and try it. I'm standing in the checkout line (lol) and have to make up my mind before the cashier rings my order up.

I'm trying to figure out how much difference that is between /oz and /lb or is it just both weight units? or is the /oz in fl oz? And how much different is that?

If the raw smells like pot well actually I'd like that although I don't partake anymore. Hey, no problem rubbing it on your body if you don't smoke it, right? ;)

Maybe I'll just buy both and experiment with both...

Hello,
I bought the natural unrefined hemp seed oil from wsp and have been very happy with it.
It is a nice green and has a grassy smell to it.
Just remember it has a short shelf life :wink:
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Honestly I do like the grassy smell. Please don't ask me how I know that. ;)

Lovehound said:
If the raw smells like pot well actually I'd like that although I don't partake anymore. Hey, no problem rubbing it on your body if you don't smoke it, right? ;)

Sounds like a good candidate for patchouli. I think if it says weight ounce it is referring to an incrament of a pound unless otherwise specified.

La Oberhasli said:
Sounds like a good candidate for patchouli. I think if it says weight ounce it is referring to an incrament of a pound unless otherwise specified.
You're going to have me thinking I'm in a head shop back in the hippie days when I'm in my shower! :) Hmmm... Might not be too bad. ;)

Lovehound said:
Aw heck I bought them both. I'll try smoking whichever one I don't like. ;)

lol there is not enough tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the oil because its made from the seeds! I love the smell too though I too no longer partake in it...trying to get a career set up and dont need the distractions :)

ppm=parts per million

that stuff is GREAT for the skin and body for ingestion (seeds are very healthy!)
Unrefined seed oil composition after Leson & Pless, et al, (2002 p. 411)
Analyses Hemp Oil
Saturated fatty acids Individual saturated fatty acids percentage
Palmitic acid (16:0) 6-9 per cent
Stearic acid (18:0) 2-3.5 per cent
Arachidic acid (20:0) <1-3 per cent
Behenic acid (22:0) 0.3 per cent
Total saturated fatty acid 9-11 per cent
Unsaturated fatty acids Individual unsaturated fatty acids percentage
Oleic acid (18:1 w-9) 8.5-16 per cent
Linoleic acid (18:2 w-6) 53-60 per cent
g-Linolenic acid GLA (18:3 w-6) 1-4 per cent
a-Linolenic acid (18:3 w-3) 15-25 per cent
Stearidonic acid (18:4 w-3) 0.4-2 per cent
Eicosanoic acid (20:1) <0.5 per cent
Total unsaturated fatty acids 89-91 per cent
Chemical Analyses
Vitamin E 100-150 mg/100 g (mostly g-tocopherol)
13-20 IU/100g (as a-tocopherol equivalents)
Chlorophyll 50-20 ppm
THC content 2-20 ppm
Specific gravity 0.92 kg/1
Iodine value 155-170
Peroxide value 4-7 meq 02/kg
Free fatty acids 1.5-2.0% as Oleic acid
Phosphatides 100-400 ppm

Id love to buy a kilo of seeds ground up and put them in all of my food like omelettes and stuff! mmmm good :D

IanT said:
lol there is not enough tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the oil because its made from the seeds! I love the smell too though I too no longer partake in it...trying to get a career set up and dont need the distractions :)
I too no longer partake. Your days seem enjoyable but you never accomplish anything because your motivation circuits are shorted out. I can't moderate so my only other choice was to quit entirely. I was just joking about smoking it. :)

Actually, if you like the nutritional value of hemp seed oil so much you should just buy some and add it to your diet. That's why the health food stores sell it. It's not even expensive at perhaps 1 teaspoon per day.

Lovehound said:
IanT said:
I too no longer partake. Your days seem enjoyable but you never accomplish anything because your motivation circuits are shorted out. I can't moderate so my only other choice was to quit entirely. I was just joking about smoking it. :)

Actually, if you like the nutritional value of hemp seed oil so much you should just buy some and add it to your diet. That's why the health food stores sell it. It's not even expensive at perhaps 1 teaspoon per day.

lol I FEEL you on the motivation/moderation factor...

Ive been taking fish oil and flax seed oil, so it would be cool to add hempseed oil too!...

I LOVE Hemp Seed Oil. All of my glycerin Soaps are made with it and I have a specialty CP bar that I sell out of faster than I can replenish! I like WSPs unrefined. It has such a beautiful rich color... And of course it smells nice...

Am I missing something... Hemp seed oil smells nothing like pot to me... :oops: However... Peak's Candle supply does have a "Mary Jane" FO and it is pretty darn close. I make a hemp soap scented, of course, Mary Jane.

A friend of mine, her Mom uses it and she made this note on the scent combined in a CP soap made with unrefined hemp seed oil...
"It smells like "old" pot. Like good pot from way back when. Before it had this horrible negative stimga. This soap smells like the year 1974."

Just thought I would jump in and share... :lol:

Lane said:
Am I missing something... Hemp seed oil smells nothing like pot to me... :oops: However... Peak's Candle supply does have a "Mary Jane" FO and it is pretty darn close. I make a hemp soap scented, of course, Mary Jane.

A friend of mine, her Mom uses it and she made this note on the scent combined in a CP soap made with unrefined hemp seed oil...
"It smells like "old" pot. Like good pot from way back when. Before it had this horrible negative stimga. This soap smells like the year 1974."
Well I was sort of making a joke because I agree that the oil does not smell like the smokable herb. Maybe in some ways it may smell like the herb when it's very fresh, very intense. However, my experience with hemp oil is limited to buying soaps with hemp oil in them, like at Whole Foods Market, and I have no other idea what other fragrances were added to the bars. I'll have to wait until Wednesday when my order arrives to find out what the oil smells like. In a way I'm glad I got one each refined and raw. And if my soap comes out nice I'll know what to order next time.

let me know which one you like better as Im in the same boat and would like to add it to my list of oils!

Yeah, sure Ian, that's what forums are all about. You helping me helping you helping me. I'll be thrilled to share my hemp lore with you and get your reaction to any hemp oil soaps I conceive to make. The Internet is great! :)

:D Im all about it !! :)

Id love to add that oil to my soap, but like you im unsure whether unrefined or refined is better (and I have no idea why they want more for unrefined...its UN refined...meaining LESS WORK!!! lol)

who knows??

IanT said:
let me know which one you like better as Im in the same boat and would like to add it to my list of oils!
Well for sure!!! :)

And I want advice on what to do with my hemp oils! I'll be very appreciative of any hemp oil recipes and you can post it here, now, or post URLS if you have any ideas.

without a doubt ;) ive got quite a few, just need to do some digging in my recipe book! ... searching....

Okay, Ian.... where are those recipes? :lol:

I've got a small bottle of the unrefined.... still trying to figure out what to use it in & at what %

Latest posts

Back