Hemp & Poppy Seed soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
This was my first batch of soap using hemp oil, and I love the light green colour that it imparted onto the finished soap. Unscented, but it does still smell slightly nutty - I quite like it. I'm also surprised at how hard this bar is - I made it around 18 hours ago and it was hard enough to cut and barely leaves a dent when pressed! Used my "normal" recipe, which is generally quite soft upon unmolding, but subbed SAO and part of my olive and RBO for 15% unrefined hemp oil.

Ignore the messy cut, I haven't cleaned it up yet - it's "rustic". :mrgreen:

ETA: The photo makes the upper left hand top of the soap look wet - it's not. I blame the light.
11936448_10156229347225227_1689474624_n.jpg

Beautiful! I too like bars that look a bit "rustic". The color is quite lovely too. I've had some poppy seeds sitting around a while and I think this bar is giving me a push toward using them soon :)

Beautiful! I too like bars that look a bit "rustic". The color is quite lovely too. I've had some poppy seeds sitting around a while and I think this bar is giving me a push toward using them soon :)

Yes, use them! I was worried this may be a bit too scrubby, but I just tested a little end slice (I'm so impatient) and it's just right for me.

Yes, use them! I was worried this may be a bit too scrubby, but I just tested a little end slice (I'm so impatient) and it's just right for me.

Enabler! If you don't mind my asking, what was your measurement of seeds ppo? I like a fairly scrubby bar and these look like just the ticket.

Enabler! If you don't mind my asking, what was your measurement of seeds ppo? I like a fairly scrubby bar and these look like just the ticket.

I used about 3/4 tbsp PPO - so for this batch, I used just short of 2 tbsp. I was worried it may be a little bit too scrubby, but my partner has tested it and he thinks it's just right. The poppy seeds aren't actually as scratchy as I had imagined them to be - they're really nice for grubby hands.

I came across this thread which has some other suggestions re: usage of poppy seeds. Most people recommend using less than the standard 1 tbsp PPO - maybe 1-2 tsp.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=26993

Latest posts

Back