Hemp Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectsoap

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question!
This is is from WSP -
Shelf life of unopened containers is 30 days at room temperature, 2-4 months refrigerated and 6 months+ in the freezer. Hemp oil remains liquid even at freezer temperatures.
That is a short life for a great oil!
My question is once you make soap with hemp oil, does the soap life decrease with having hemp or does it matter after the hemp in made into soap? does that make sense?
Thanks for any insight.
I will be Googling and post if I find my own answer!
Jeff

I think DOS happens partially due to recipe and partially due to environment. When using any low shelf oil - you should soap it right away and don't go over a 5% superfat. If you soap it with other oils - using oils longer in shelf life might help as well such as olive. I have not seen widespread complaints with hemp soap and DOS.

Marr,
Thank you.
I have had great success with hemp, no DOS at all!
I am just concerned that since hemp oil has a short shelf life that soap made with a high % of hemp will also have a short shelf life, or is that not the case?
Thanks,
Jeff

It might and it might not. It really is a trial and error thing for everyone. What I have good luck with in one climate might give you fits in another.

Try a small batch of high % hemp and let it sit. See what happens. If it's good 6 months from now - maybe you can make it to sell. 8-12 months would probably be better. I don't know. I have a hard time thinking that people will keep them that long without using and would expect them to be perfect that long too.

I have made some for a swap with a higher Hemp content. I will sit on some of it to see.
My plan if it last a year after soaped, is to order more hemp and soap it all, let it cure a good 4-6 weeks and then move it within 3-4 months, just don't want it to go funny in 6 months lol. I would hope if I were to make it and sell it with-in 3-4 months no one would have it longer than another 6 months!
I'll post my finding in 6 mo. and a year! Just have to put in next to the castle soap!
Jeff

do you have a good source for unrefined hemp oil?? ive been wondering about using this in a soap as well, cant wait to get back on my feet financially so I can experiment with everything! :)

IanT said:
do you have a good source for unrefined hemp oil?? ive been wondering about using this in a soap as well, cant wait to get back on my feet financially so I can experiment with everything! :)

Columbus - Soapers Choice!

Latest posts

Back