Hemp oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overthemoon

Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me if hemp oil smells like hemp? I have a request to make some soap with it but I have an allergy to hemp (yes including the fabric) and scent sensitivity to marijuana and hemp incense. I don't want my house smelling off anything that is going to have me in a migraine for ages but it would be for a friend's wedding.

I have a sample of hemp oil from somewhere that has no odor. I also have a soap sample made of 100% hemp oil and it reeks of rancidity - it's not stable in soap.

If you are allergic to it, I'd not touch the stuff - personally.

i have used whole foods refined 100% hemp oil in soaps before. it has a green coloring strong enough at even 5%-10% to change the overall color of your batch. it does not smell like marijuana, but does have a distinct (no pun intended) "grassy" smell, like fresh cut lawn. i always use it as no more than 10% of my oils, though, and haven't had a problem with rancidity, (hope i don't!) nor any type of odor from the end result.

that said, if there's a sensitivity to it, i'd just avoid it altogether. it's not my favorite base oil.

Thank you both, apparently she has heard wonderful things about it. Since my allergy isn't serious, I didn't want to be a baby but if it can lead to DOS that with my allergy should be enough to persuade her to go along with one of my normal recipes or another oil.

I would NEVER try to use an oil like hemp at 100%... that would be just begging for trouble. However I made a batch using 10% hemp and it came out wonderfully moisturizing and rich. That was well over a year ago and it's still holding up just fine. No DOS or rancidity whatsoever. In fact it is one of my favorite bars. I scented it with a Nag Champa FO blend.

As for the oil itself I can't really say I notice a smell at all.

i love hemp, i use about 3 oz, so about 10%, never more, it makes nice soap. No, it doesnt smell like "weed" or incense, ive never heard of allergy to hemp? how did you find out? rash?

I get a rash from hemp fabric and I get a migarine from marijuana and hemp incense. It's my worst allergy, thankfully isn't about to kill me but it does ruin my day.

The hemp oil I have does smell a little pottish but it doesn't come thru in soap.Ive used up to 10%,colours soap a pale green which fades a little over time.I always add .04% T50 to the bottle soon as I get it.And only ever buy small amts.Short shelf life(3mths)and high price!

gekko62 said:
The hemp oil I have does smell a little pottish but it doesn't come thru in soap.Ive used up to 10%,colours soap a pale green which fades a little over time.I always add .04% T50 to the bottle soon as I get it.And only ever buy small amts.Short shelf life(3mths)and high price!

Ditto to all that. Mine is unrefined & smells like pot. Once it goes through saponification, though, I don't smell it. I add T50 to mine, too & have never had any rancidity issues. I have soap with hempseed oil in it that's over a year old now & still no rancidiy. I think I only SF'd it at 5% as well.

I think I'm going to convince her to let me use a different oil, it's not like I don't have enough variety as is. Haven't heard anything yet that tells me it's irreplaceable and I care about my comfort, ha.

Smell have a similar earthy, grassy smell to marijuana, there are many flavored CBD hemp oil products
Can anyone here tell me if hemp oil smells like hemp? I have a request to make some soap with it but I have an allergy to hemp (yes including the fabric) and scent sensitivity to marijuana and hemp incense. I don't want my house smelling off anything that is going to have me in a migraine for ages but it would be for a friend's wedding.

Hi, @clarissjeune -- you're replying to an 11 year old thread. Most, perhaps all, of the posters no longer visit here.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of us in the Introduction forum and tell us a little about your soap making experience. Welcome to the forum!

Back