Hemp oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Hello all, a friend of mine gave me a bottle of hemp seed oil that she said she wasn't going to use. It is unopened so that's good, as I know it has a short shelf life. I was wondering if anyone had any good CP recipes that they would care to share or any other recipes for that matter. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

You can use hemp in any CP recipe to replace some or all of your other liquid oils. But soap is washed off the skin so quickly. I personally would use it for a salve or lotion, to hopefully get more of the benefits from the oil on my skin.

Whatever you do, we’d love to see your creation!

The hemp oil is well within the expiration date so it should be fine. I’ll add ROE just after I open it and refrigerate after use.

I think that I am going to try my hand at making some of @Zing ‘s lotion bars. I have some old beeswax candles sitting around that I could melt down.

I’m also going to make some soap with it as well. I’m still open to ideas, suggestions, and recipes for that matter. I’ll be sure to post pics of anything that I decide to make. Happy New Year!

The hemp oil is well within the expiration date so it should be fine. I’ll add ROE just after I open it and refrigerate after use.

I think that I am going to try my hand at making some of @Zing ‘s lotion bars. I have some old beeswax candles sitting around that I could melt down.

I’m also going to make some soap with it as well. I’m still open to ideas, suggestions, and recipes for that matter. I’ll be sure to post pics of anything that I decide to make. Happy New Year!
Hurray! My evangelism is working! Keep us posted.

It will be very nice in lotion bars. Hemp oil is very high in linoleic (two unsaturated bonds) and linolenic (three unsaturated bonds), which makes it very prone to rancidity. See this thread for more details. I used a small percentage of very fresh hemp oil in a soap back in 2019. It held up just fine for at least two years except for a piece that I tried to stamp with a silver belt buckle before I knew that was a no no. That piece developed DOS in the area of the impression.

What types of recipes do you like? If you are a lardinator, I suggest:

60% lard or lard/tallow blend
20% CO or CO/PKO blend
10% hemp oil
5% cocoa butter or shea butter
5% castor oil

You could also leave out the castor and put the extra 5% into the hemp. I’d use a chelator, 3% SF, and 5-6 week cure.

20% CO or CO/PKO blend
10% hemp oil
5% castor oil

You could also leave out the castor and put the extra 5% into the hemp. I’d use a chelator, 3% SF, and 5-6 week cure.
I am most certainly a lardinator. I just purchased two 4lb buckets of it, and I don't even make that much soap. I wish I would've seen your recipe sooner as I already made a recipe that I came up with. It is as follows:

Palm Oil 32%
Coconut 22%
Olive 16%
Hemp 15%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor 5%

I used citric acid at 2% and added ROE and kaolin clay at 1 tsp PPO. The fragrance I went with is sandalwood patchouli from WSP. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow. I think it came out great!!!

Question for everyone: Would the saponification affect the shelf life of the Hemp oil? Would it lengthen it/ save it? I'm not as well versed in the chemistry of it all yet, so just trying to learn.

854B90A8-B859-4195-B9EB-F1FD0C0EBF6F.jpeg

Well here’s how they turned out. I went with a very rustic look as I never do that cause my mother always complains about it, but I thought that hemp soap should be rustic looking.

The green tint is just from the hemp oil and I think that it’s so cool. Now time to make the lotion bars, just waiting on those cool twist tube containers to get here. Thanks for stopping by and for the help and advice all!

Question for everyone: Would the saponification affect the shelf life of the Hemp oil? Would it lengthen it/ save it? I'm not as well versed in the chemistry of it all yet, so just trying to learn.
It wouldn’t help much if any. Hemp seed oil contains linoleic, linolineic and oleic acids which are all unsaturated, meaning they contain a double bond. Think of a double bond as a spot where something can react or the bond can break. When this happens the soap becomes rancid.

I am not one of the chem experts on this forum. However, I do know that when a lye particle marries an oil particle, it becomes a salt. But there is always unsaponified oil left in your soap -- which you want to ensure it is not lye heavy. I have a couple of relatives who like to display my soap versus using it. I've noticed that my soap lasts about 24+ months before becoming rancid.

View attachment 70286
Well here’s how they turned out. I went with a very rustic look as I never do that cause my mother always complains about it, but I thought that hemp soap should be rustic looking.

The green tint is just from the hemp oil and I think that it’s so cool. Now time to make the lotion bars, just waiting on those cool twist tube containers to get here. Thanks for stopping by and for the help and advice all!
Okay, we obviously do not have the same definition of 'rustic'! I call my soap 'rustic' when I get stearic spots, air bubbles, or glycerin rivers. Your soap looks elegant!

I manage a food pantry that serves low-income folks. Just today, we got a donation of several bottles of hemp seed oil which we cannot give out because of the expiration date. However, this thread has inspired me to take a bottle home to my soap shop!

I manage a food pantry that serves low-income folks. Just today, we got a donation of several bottles of hemp seed oil which we cannot give out because of the expiration date. However, this thread has inspired me to take a bottle home to my soap shop!
Thank you for the work you do to feed the hungry. ❤️

Hello all, a friend of mine gave me a bottle of hemp seed oil that she said she wasn't going to use. It is unopened so that's good, as I know it has a short shelf life. I was wondering if anyone had any good CP recipes that they would care to share or any other recipes for that matter. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Whatever you do I wouldn't use more than 5% because of rancidity

Whatever you do I wouldn't use more than 5% because of rancidity DBS (dreaded Brown Spots). I use grapefruit seed extract as my preservative which helps with longer shelf life. Good luck. On a side note, I have used the oil in various cooking recipes in place of vegetable oil. Enjoy!

20% CO or CO/PKO blend
10% hemp oil
5% castor oil

Instead of 60% lard can I put palm oil instead or more shea?

20% CO or CO/PKO blend
10% hemp oil
5% castor oil

Instead of lard can I do 50% palm oil and 10% shea butter ?

I am most certainly a lardinator. I just purchased two 4lb buckets of it, and I don't even make that much soap. I wish I would've seen your recipe sooner as I already made a recipe that I came up with. It is as follows:

Palm Oil 32%
Coconut 22%
Olive 16%
Hemp 15%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor 5%

I used citric acid at 2% and added ROE and kaolin clay at 1 tsp PPO. The fragrance I went with is sandalwood patchouli from WSP. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow. I think it came out great!!!
Can I put 10% hemp instead and do 21% olive oil ?

Latest posts

Back