Hemp CP Soap Opinions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HobbyMom

Reaction score
I was playing around SaponiCalc and made this recipe. I have not made my first batch of soap but I am using the app to help learn all the number parts and how it works tinkering with all the different mixtures... So my question is what would this much hemp oil do in a soap? Would you try it or have you tried a lot of Hemp Seed Oil soaps, what are your thoughts and advice?

25% Hemp Oil
25% Mango Butter
25% Coconut Oil 76°
15% Avacado Oil
10% Castor Oil

I personally wouldn’t use more than 10-15% hemp. It doesn’t have a long shelf life. I’ve used it at 15% with no issue. I don’t use high percentages of butters but you can certainly give it a go. Are you opposed to using Palm or Lard. They help make a well balanced bar of soap. Also, some will tell you to lower your CO but I would be okay with it.

I personally wouldn’t use more than 10-15% hemp. It doesn’t have a long shelf life. I’ve used it at 15% with no issue. I don’t use high percentages of butters but you can certainly give it a go. Are you opposed to using Palm or Lard. They help make a well balanced bar of soap. Also, some will tell you to lower your CO but I would be okay with it.

Thanks.
I'm not opposed to lard or anythig yet since I will only be making in tiny batches for myself. It will be a while before I tried something like the hemp recipe. I will start with basic oils and easy recipes for my first batches but learning soap making and learning the oils makes my mind run wild with the possibilities of mixtures.

I like Hemp Seed Oil in soap, but I don't use it in high percentages for the same reasons as Shunt2011 - it is a very soft oil that can oxidize in soap easily (the soap gets DOS easily).

The smell lasts for a very long time in soap, so be prepared for that ;)
I rather like it paired with woody smells (like rosemary and cedarwood), but for whatever reason it goes fantastically well with honey soaps.

Happy soaping HobbyMom! :)

I have heard that any combination of soaps with a (Linoleic +Linolenic ) total of over 15 you significantly increase your chances of DOS.
Is this true? I don't know... here is the source
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/

If this is true, Hemp oil shouldnt be used above 15% and definitely in lower %'s in combination with Oils high in Linoleic and linolenic acids.

I have read the shelf life of hemp oil is 1 year and it should be refrigerated.

Hopefully all of this info is accurate :)

I have heard that any combination of soaps with a (Linoleic +Linolenic ) total of over 15 you significantly increase your chances of DOS.
Is this true? I don't know... here is the source
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/

As a newbie I also worry about the numbers on the calc, but then I also learned that there is no way around it sometimes.

I want to make a soap high in grapeseed and low-ish in coconut and Linoleic + Linoleic came to about 20. The advise I got was to do it.
I figure if I limit myself to what the numbers (only) tell me I'll be stuck with just a few oils repeatedly, with different percentages.

I guess what I'm saying is go for it! Take the advise of our resident experienced soapers so you get the most out of your recipe but don't rely solely on the numbers.

That being said, I know someone who uses hemp seed oil in creams and balms because here it costs more and seemed like a waste putting it in a wash off product. That might be another thing to think about.

As a newbie I also worry about the numbers on the calc, but then I also learned that there is no way around it sometimes.

I want to make a soap high in grapeseed and low-ish in coconut and Linoleic + Linoleic came to about 20. The advise I got was to do it.
I figure if I limit myself to what the numbers (only) tell me I'll be stuck with just a few oils repeatedly, with different percentages.

I guess what I'm saying is go for it! Take the advise of our resident experienced soapers so you get the most out of your recipe but don't rely solely on the numbers.

That being said, I know someone who uses hemp seed oil in creams and balms because here it costs more and seemed like a waste putting it in a wash off product. That might be another thing to think about.
This is what it seems to be for the experienced SOAPERS!!. They have a set combo (lard, palm, castor, something) or (coco, olive, palm, castor something) if we make enough we may find our favorite too. Like you said, take the advice and try a little here and there.
I'll try a lard soap next week.

This post was on my phone, sorry about the auto correct word change.

Last edited:
I love hemp oil in soap with max 5-10% with high % of hard oils.

I have made 100% Hemp Oil soap and it really does have a strong sort of sea-like scent. Sort of like seaweed. I smell it every time I use the soap. This soap produces an endless supply of bubbles that is just amazing. I did think it was going DOS-y at one point, but found that the surface discoloration washed right off and the underlying soap has not developed any DOS, so I don't think it was true DOS. It does wear away rather quickly, though, because it's a softer soap and with so many bubbles there is a tendency (on my part) to just keep on lathering up to see those amazing bubbles.

One suggestion I would make is to lower your SF to about 2% when you use a higher percentage of any oil with a shorter shelf life. With a lower SF, you have less leftover oils to go rancid.

Back