Hemp butter in cp soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Well I got a little carried away ordering from New Directions Aromatics and I bought some hemp butter . I could have sworn there was a soap recipe I wanted to try that called for it.Of course I checked and I can't find that recipe.I did some research and know its not on soapcalc and other people contacted NDA for the SAP value.All well and good but I can't figure out how one goes about entering that in soapcalc. Any suggestions? Is there another calculator I should be using? Many thanks!!!

Surely someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hemp butter is a mix of hemp seed oil and vegetable oils (shortening), to make is thicker. Unless you have the kind that's sort of like peanut butter, which is the whole hemp seed, oil and husks mashed together. If it's the former, you might try and find out the percentage of vegetable oil to hemp oil and break it down by percentage in soapcalc. They have hemp oil in soapcalc - but I'm not sure the properties are the same as hemp oil is from the leaves and flowers, as hemp seed oil is from, you guessed it, the hemp seed.

I would use the hemp oil calc, mostly because I think they may mean 'hemp seed' oil. Hemp oil is usually used internally.
Well I got a little carried away ordering from New Directions Aromatics and I bought some hemp butter .

BTW - I love that! I too get curious and carried away sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr B's Castile soap and liquid soap has hemp oil.
Naples soap company (US company despite the name) uses it in most soaps too.

It is $$$ so I imagine the % they use is small.
I was watching a video of a large handmade soap co and she made a soap she called Black African Soap and it had 5% black African soap added to it!

Hemp

hemp butter? how fun I am just starting to get into making my own soap and this intrigued me so much! I am looking for where I can get some, I have been buying my supplies from
bulkapothecary.com/categories/soap-making-supplies.html I guess I will have to start there and search for hemp butter. thanks for the fun suggestion, I hope whatever recipe you end up using works! I'll for sure check back to see what happened. please update

Hemp Butter Soap

I am taking some advice read from this forum and trying the Hemp Butter in a cp soap. I decided to use hemp oil in the lye calculator, as I too have not been able to find a lye calculator with Hemp butter as the fat.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

In place of using hemp butter, which is just hydrogenated veggie oil and hemp oil I would use hemp oil which is usually cheaper in soap. Hemp butter will help thicken lotions and balks. This is not the hemp butter I have been known to make....

Just be careful when you use hemp oil in your soap making, you need to have enough hard oils for a balanced formula. The hemp oil is high in linolenic and linoleic acids, your soap can get DOS easy.

Yes, I read that in the threads as well about this particular fat. I have the hemp seed butter now, so want to use it before the expiry date. I am open to recipe suggestions for lotions involving that fat... :)

Yes, I read that in the threads as well about this particular fat. I have the hemp seed butter now, so want to use it before the expiry date. I am open to recipe suggestions for lotions involving that fat... :)

From the New Directions Aromatics website, they sat that it has a dry feel. Have you tested any on your hand to see what you think? Depending on the melt point and if you like the consistency, it might be an awesome option to replace or add to Shea butter in the solid lotion recipe MySoapyHeart shared! Depending on how hard/soft a butter it is, you might tweak the beeswax between 10-25% and add 0.5% Vitamin E to improve the shelf life of the hemp seed. For oils you could do a nice blend of light and absorbent depending on what your skin likes.

Maybe do a few 50g batches with different amounts, just to see what you like?
40% Oils
33% Hemp Seed Butter
10%-25% Beeswax
1.5-2% fragrance
0.5% Vitamin E

(I know the math doesn't all add up depending on how you work your ranges - but that's part of the adventure! :D)

Last edited:
I brought some hemp butter from The Sage Com and I am also struggling with a recipe. They have a lye calculator but honestly, it's beyond my understanding. If anyone can help it would certainly be appreciated.

From Wholesale Supplies Plus:

Contains Hemp Seed Oil, thought to have the highest amount of polyunsaturated fatty acid contents of all natural oils. Considered a one of the "driest" natural oils as it absorbs quickly into the skin. Provides excellent lubricity without being greasy. Similar to shea butter in feel and behavior. All Natural.
Average Melt Point: 112-126º F.

Cold & Hot Process Soapmaking Saponification Information:
SAP Value: 175-200
NaOH .132, KOH .186

Recommended Crafter's Choice Color Additives:
Lotions: Powder Mica

Recommended Crafter's Choice Aroma Additives:
Lotions & Scrubs: Skin Safe Fragrance Oil - Maximum 3%

Physical Form: Light Brown Soft Solid
Solubility: Insoluble in Water
Country of Origin: TBD

Short Term Storage:
Air tight container. Dark location. Cool room temperature.

Long Term Storage:
Removing air from storage container will delay oxidation and rancidity (may need to place in a smaller container). Refrigeration can extend shelf life.

Best Used By: One year from date of purchase.
Shelf Life Once Used in Manufacturing: One year from manufacturing date.

Country Of Origin: United States

Helpful Product Information:
1x1.gif

Melt Point: 119ºF
1x1.gif
SAP Converted-KOH: 0.186
1x1.gif

SAP Converted-NaOH: 0.132

I am in love with hemp seed oil ((havent tried the butter yet) and I formulated a CP recipe I’m really excited to make tonight. I wanted a soap recipe that was 5 or less oils, had lather for days, conditioned well, and basically performed outstandingly in every other way to boot. No biggie. Oh, and it didn’t cost a bajillion dollars to produce, cause I’m fresh out of bajillions at the moment. I’d be happy to share it with you along with its qualities, I posted the SAP values for the butter in the long post above this one. I dont know how to use that info to sub the butter in for the oil, but i have a hunch the folks here might know a thing or two about that!

Dr B's Castile soap and liquid soap has hemp oil.
Naples soap company (US company despite the name) uses it in most soaps too.

It is $$$ so I imagine the % they use is small.
I was watching a video of a large handmade soap co and she made a soap she called Black African Soap and it had 5% black African soap added to it!
You sure it wasn't African Black Soap? ;)

LOL, I didn't pay attention. Sorry. But to be fair, This is a good opportunity to see if we can add hemp seed butter to SMF.

I am in love with hemp seed oil ((havent tried the butter yet) and I formulated a CP recipe I’m really excited to make tonight. I wanted a soap recipe that was 5 or less oils, had lather for days, conditioned well, and basically performed outstandingly in every other way to boot. No biggie. Oh, and it didn’t cost a bajillion dollars to produce, cause I’m fresh out of bajillions at the moment. I’d be happy to share it with you along with its qualities, I posted the SAP values for the butter in the long post above this one. I dont know how to use that info to sub the butter in for the oil, but i have a hunch the folks here might know a thing or two about that!
You can just use the Hemp Oil setting.

Sadly this butter is mixed with hydrogenated oil like so many other butter blends and is not pure hemp butter. I would stick to using Hemp oil in soap. I just refuse to waste my money on these types of kinds of butter. Plus they say the manufacturer will not give out the information about the type of vegetable oil. This is hard for folks with allergies and leave-on products. I am guessing this is manufactured by Hallstar and they have it listed as "Trade Secret" on their SDS Document.

Last edited:
Hemp

hemp butter? how fun I am just starting to get into making my own soap and this intrigued me so much! I am looking for where I can get some, I have been buying my supplies from
bulkapothecary.com/categories/soap-making-supplies.html I guess I will have to start there and search for hemp butter. thanks for the fun suggestion, I hope whatever recipe you end up using works! I'll for sure check back to see what happened. please update

From the New Directions site: "It is created by blending Hemp Seed Oil with non-GMO Soy Butter"

So it's hemp seed oil blended with vegetable shortening. You can purchase hemp seed oil at a local health food store and add it to whatever you'd like. I personally don't recommend soap - I love it in lotion.

From the New Directions site: "It is created by blending Hemp Seed Oil with non-GMO Soy Butter"

So it's hemp seed oil blended with vegetable shortening. You can purchase hemp seed oil at a local health food store and add it to whatever you'd like. I personally don't recommend soap - I love it in lotion.
It is going to depend who manufactures it. Hallstar does not say what vegetable oil is used.

It is going to depend who manufactures it. Hallstar does not say what vegetable oil is used.
Yes, I've seen some where they use coconut instead of soy. I'm just saying, always read those ingredients. IMO, it's easier to keep a bottle of hemp seed oil and a container of soy shortening (or coconut or shea or whatever), vs having one container of soy+hemp and one container of coffee oil + soy,e tc etc.

Back