Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faegirvlva

Reaction score
I wanted to create a drop swirl soap with 8 oz. of mango, 32 oz. of olive oil, 5.1 oz. of lye, 11.8 oz. of water, (20% discount), 15 oz. of canned pumpkin, and red and black oxide. I put the canned pumpkin and The black oxide together, and the red I put in, essentially, Castile soap with the cinnamon. The black oxide did NOT mix with the oils very well, but it seemed to reach a false trace. Bits of the "soap" were hard as a rock, making me think the soap was ready to pour, but the olive oil remained liquid. What did I do wrong? Is there a problem with my recipe?

You used way too much pumpkin in your recipe. SoapCalc calls for 15.2 ounces of water. You could have dissolved the lye in half water (7.5 oz) and used 7.7 ounces of pumpkin in the soap batter for the rest of the liquid. Since you used 11.8 ounces of water, you should have just added 3.4 ounces of pumpkin to the soap batter. When using puree of any kind, count it as part of the liquid.

Latest posts

Back