Help with Two Wild Hares Frosting recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

servin

Reaction score
I purchased the Two Wild Hares Frosting Recipe and I'm struggling. I've contacted them and they gave me some tips, but I still can't pipe it. It's to thick.

What I'm doing: waiting for the liquid ingredients to be less than 90 degrees, using 50% proof vodka. Last time added probably about 3 times the amount of vodka suggested and still couldn't pipe it. I am using fine slsa, instead of coarse. Which I think is the problem, but I just bought 10 pounds and i don't want to just waste it!

Anyone else struggle? I've seen lots of people that love the recipe and have said it comes together the first time. I have done 5 half batches. So far it hasn't been worth paying for a recipe that I'm still having to tweak!

Any help is appreciated. Especially if you've used the fine SLSA.

TIA,

Shannon

I think you are talking about the bath bomb frosting? You should be using 40 or 50% rubbing alcohol OR 80 or 100 proof vodka, not 50 proof vodka. I hope that makes sense. I have used 50% rubbing alcohol in mine and it has been successful each time.

I purchased the Two Wild Hares Frosting Recipe and I'm struggling. I've contacted them and they gave me some tips, but I still can't pipe it. It's to thick.

What I'm doing: waiting for the liquid ingredients to be less than 90 degrees, using 50% proof vodka. Last time added probably about 3 times the amount of vodka suggested and still couldn't pipe it. I am using fine slsa, instead of coarse. Which I think is the problem, but I just bought 10 pounds and i don't want to just waste it!

Anyone else struggle? I've seen lots of people that love the recipe and have said it comes together the first time. I have done 5 half batches. So far it hasn't been worth paying for a recipe that I'm still having to tweak!

TIA,

Shannon

I’m with you there. I paid for a recipe and it piped lovely but never hardened. Try some Cocamidopropyl Betaine. I find this really makes any frosting recipe pipeable.

I now just use sodium bicarbonate and cococa butter and slsa and Cocamidopropyl Betaine blended up in my mixer. Pipes lovely

I think you are talking about the bath bomb frosting? You should be using 40 or 50% rubbing alcohol OR 80 or 100 proof vodka, not 50 proof vodka. I hope that makes sense. I have used 50% rubbing alcohol in mine and it has been successful each time.
Can any other % rubbing alcohol work? I have 70% and 91%?

Can any other % rubbing alcohol work? I have 70% and 91%?
The higher alcohol % will make it dry/harden quicker, so you will have to move quicker. You can try it, but I can't say for sure how well it would work. Like AliOop said, you can dilute your higher % of RA with distilled water to get 50%.

I did a quick alligation to make 100g of 50% RA using 70% and distilled water:
71.4g of 70% RA + 28.6g distilled water

TIA,

Shannon
50 Proof vodka is equal to 25% alcohol. 100 Proof vodka is equal to 50% alcohol. It's always half.

I had to look up the word "alligation"... that is a rarity for me, but I love learning new words!
LOL sorry, I have been a sterile compounding tech for over 20 years and forget sometimes that some terminology is not well known! It's an old school albeit excellent way of figuring how much of each solution you need to create a different solution who's concentration is somewhere in the middle without the help of a computer program to figure it out for you.

LOL sorry, I have been a sterile compounding tech for over 20 years and forget sometimes that some terminology is not well known! It's an old school albeit excellent way of figuring how much of each solution you need to create a different solution who's concentration is somewhere in the middle without the help of a computer program to figure it out for you.
You and the many other good folks on this forum with your brilliant minds never cease to amaze and inspire me! Thank you for your contributions!💟

TIA,

Shannon
Here is what I use for frosting my bath bombs. It comes together really easily and pipes beautifully and gets hard quickly. Hope it helps.

Bubble frosting for piping
550 g Baking Soda
10 g Cream Of Tartar
20 g Corn Starch
110 g Coco Betaine

Sift all dry ingredients together in mixer. Whip in Coco Betaine. Whip until it has reached frosting consistency. Frosts about 2 dozen shots

Latest posts

Back