Help with tracking recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m hoping somebody could help me with a simple way of tracking my soaps and the small changes I make to recipes.
I’d really like an app I could use on my phone or iPad so I can keep a copy of Soap Calc, a picture of the soap and continuous notes.
My handwritten notebook is falling short for me.
One thing I know will help if I quit using the soap and let it be. But I have it where I can see it and I always want to check them.
Thank you

I would recommend trying a Notion page! I'm sure there's an app for it, but I keep it opened in a tab in my mobile browser instead (I hate downloading apps haha)
There might be a little bit of a learning curve as it looks far more complicated than it is, but once you get the hang of it it's fairly simple.

I have a gallery for all my batches with a code name identifier and the date I made it. Each of these is clickable and has its own page.

1678754094455.png

In the individual pages, I keep a picture of the soap, a screenshot of soapcalc, and any notes on FO behavior, temperatures, when I unmolded it, etc.

I also made a calendar so I can keep track of cure times
1678754343292.png

I would recommend trying a Notion page! I'm sure there's an app for it, but I keep it opened in a tab in my mobile browser instead (I hate downloading apps haha)
There might be a little bit of a learning curve as it looks far more complicated than it is, but once you get the hang of it it's fairly simple.

I have a gallery for all my batches with a code name identifier and the date I made it. Each of these is clickable and has its own page.

View attachment 71323

In the individual pages, I keep a picture of the soap, a screenshot of soapcalc, and any notes on FO behavior, temperatures, when I unmolded it, etc.

View attachment 71324
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into it and it seems like just what I’m looking for. I have to say I’ve seen your soap and you have quite an eye for color and design. Thanks

I use Soapmaker3. You will have to purchase it; but the updates are free. It covers the costs of your product, keeps an inventory of supplies etc. Once you have entered in info of all of your supplies, then the going is pretty easy.

Thank you! I will look into that also.
Unfortunately, the program doesn't work on iPhone or iPad, BUT...I bought a Netbook that I have it one and I really like it. I have SM3 on both my PC and Netbook and it's a simple matter of just backing up your datafile to a flash drive and transferring. I don't most of my work on my PC, but when it comes to doing inventory and it doesn't take up any more room on my counter than my iPad. And I get the full functionality of a computer (in a smaller size), as my iPad is basically an entertainment center.

I picked up my Netbook off of eBay for $90.

Thank you, I saw that and I gave up my computer and laptop years ago. I really don’t like sitting at a desk like I did for years at work. I’ve been on YouTube today learning about Notion and it is a complicated process but, it seems worth the effort. Lol, I agree my iPad is pretty much for fun.
I feel like I have a good start, thanks again.

I’m hoping somebody could help me with a simple way of tracking my soaps and the small changes I make to recipes.
I’d really like an app I could use on my phone or iPad so I can keep a copy of Soap Calc, a picture of the soap and continuous notes.
My handwritten notebook is falling short for me.
One thing I know will help if I quit using the soap and let it be. But I have it where I can see it and I always want to check them.
Thank you
Soapmaking Friend - the all-in-one software for soapmakers

Can save your recipes.

View attachment 71323

View attachment 71324
Thank you for the reminder. I installed Notion a while back and keep forgetting about it. Must look at it again.

View attachment 71323

View attachment 71324
I have used Notion for a couple of years and love it. I used it to track quilts I make and ones I quilt for others.....Love it and being able to put pictures in it easily. I actually got out of the habit of using it last year....... I hadn't thought of using it for my soap...🤦‍♀️ I am going to have to open it up and play with it again!

Thanks, Basti, for the reminder!

Latest posts

Back