Help with Shea Butter soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totallytilly

Reaction score
Hi, total newbie here. I made some soap using 100% pure organic Shea Butter- unrefined cold pressed. After melting and adding essential oils , poured into mold. It set beautifully BUT it has no lather and feels very greasy. It's certainly not pleasent to wash with. Any ideas what I have done wrong ? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome.
I think what you made there is scented shea butter, not soap. What other ingredients did you add to the shea butter other than the essentail oils?

Hi and welcome to the "Soap Making Forum" . Before I can tell you what is wrong I will require more info on your recipe & process because it sounds like you just melted the Shea Butter and poured into a mold and that's it ..... you did not say what process you used and what is your super fat percentage .

Thank you Saffron. I didn't add anything else. I was following a recipe I found on Pinterest. Looking on the internet maybe I should of bought "melt and pour" Shea Butter. ........ ooppsss

so then what you have on your hands is nothing more than a " lotion bar" that is still usable for after showers to lotion the skin .

Even just that I the shower would likely be a mess and a melty greasy one at that. Adding some beeswax and some other things could make a lovely solid lotion bar. To make soap you need either MP base or Sodium Hydroxide and some other oils to make bar soap (CP/HP). Depends which direction you'd like to go.

Latest posts

Back