Help with recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeD

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum but have been making cp soap for over 20 years! The problem is that I made a recipe and stuck with it. Now I want to change it. So with this work?
Beeswax 4.3% 1.39oz
Canola 17.4% 5.57oz
Castor 4.3% 1.39oz
Coconut oil 17.4% 5.57oz
Lard 17.4% 5.57oz
Olive oil 17.4% 5.57oz
Palm oil 17.4% 5.57oz
Steric acid 4.3% 1.39oz
Lye 4.43 oz
Water10.5 oz

Edited to add oz, I tried it last night and it traced way too fast. I'm used to mixing at about 120 degrees. Maybe that's too hot?

Last edited:
For one thing you have given percentages for the oils beeswax and stearic acid, but oz measurements for the water and lye. So what is the total weight of your oils and beeswax, stearic acid combined? I ran this through SoapCalc three times and it looks like you need to add .5% to the oils.

Howdy and welcome!

Are you planning on HPing that recipe? I'd be a little worried about the Stearic Acid and Beeswax needing a cook. That also seems like a lot of beeswax. It might be really draggy.

Also, I'm not sure about the lard and palm together. I'd probably go for lard alone since I think it's nicer than palm.

I haven't been soaping for nearly as long as you though :)

ETA: Ditto to the missing 0.5% - I'd put that in castor.

I've actually used both lard and palm (when I was low on palm), and I liked the result. It depends on if you want to simplify, and only use one or the other. Steric acid will accelerate trace. A lot, in my experience.

I guess I was questioning my knowledge. It has been a long time since I tried a new recipe. Made a small batch and it seemed to work good so far! Never knew this forum even existed till yesterday, thank you!

Latest posts

Back