Help with recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I'd like to use the following ingredients in my next soap but am not sure how much of each ingredient I should use. Any suggestions?

Coconut oil
Palm oil
Olive oil
Caster oil
Almond oil
Cocoa butter
Shea Butter

Also, is saponified coconut oil any different than the 76 degree coconut oil?

Saponified CO is soap, while the CO is used to make it. I hope my answer makes as much sense as the question ??

And, if this is your first time making soap, please make sure you understand the process and start with a simple recipe of 3 or 4 oils.
Try to ask as many questions, we are all here to help.

Last edited:
Have you run these ingredients through a soap calc? I would start by no using more than 20% co and 10-15% butters. Then fill in from there until you have something you like. I'm not sure what you mean by saponified co and 76 co. Saponified just means it's gone through the saponification process that is making soap.

By your question, are you wondering if the saponified coconut will be as moisturizing as unsaponified coconut oil? If that is what you meant- the answer is no, unfortunately. Saponified coconut oil (coconut soap) is very cleansing compared to unsaponified and needs some care when formulating a recipe with it.

Having said that, I have lots of ideas for a recipe using your given oils/fats, but it will have to wait since hubby's tummy comes first (time for dinner here). I'll see if I can post some ideas later (unless others have beat me to it).

IrishLass :)

I'd like to use the following ingredients in my next soap but am not sure how much of each ingredient I should use. Any suggestions?

Coconut oil
Palm oil
Olive oil
Caster oil
Almond oil
Cocoa butter
Shea Butter

My go-to, base recipe has almost the same oils in as you are looking to use. I don't use palm oil, though, so I have rice bran in the mix, too.

I keep coconut oil under 20%, as it can be drying in higher percentages. I would go up to about 40% olive/rice bran combo, less than 10% each sweet almond and castor oil, and no more than 20% butters all up. If this is your first soap, you might want to consider cutting back on the "extras" for now and just make a super simple recipe to begin with - you could just use coconut, olive and palm.

Latest posts

Back