help with recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauboon

Reaction score
Hi,
can someone tell me is this is a balanced recipe?

14 coconut
6 sunflower
6 olive extra virgin
6 palm
4 soy
5.35 lye

I think it's too much CO. I think that the soy and sunflower can be dropped. I think that the palm should be lard and take the balance of the soy and sunflower.

But that's me. What is it that YOU want? What made you choose these oils and in these amounts? What is it that you want from the soap itself?

Also, what are your units? I'm assuming oz, but can you confirm.

response to help with recipe

Sorry, I don't use lard at all for religious reasons. I am however trying to make a bar that is long lasting, creamy and sudsy.

What about tallow? If you can use tallow, that would be better(IMHO) than palm.

If you must have a vegetable oil only soap, use more palm than coconut. I would use something in this range for a first soap:

Palm(or tallow) 60%
Coconut 15%
Olive Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 8%

Castor Oil will help stabilize the bubbles, and give better lather. If you can't get that, just add that 5% to the Coconut Oil or Palm.

You aren't going to get the creamy lather that lard gives, but it won't be horrible.

Thank you!!!!

What about tallow? If you can use tallow, that would be better(IMHO) than palm.

If you must have a vegetable oil only soap, use more palm than coconut. I would use something in this range for a first soap:

Palm(or tallow) 60%
Coconut 15%
Olive Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 8%

Castor Oil will help stabilize the bubbles, and give better lather. If you can't get that, just add that 5% to the Coconut Oil or Palm.

You aren't going to get the creamy lather that lard gives, but it won't be horrible.

Personally, I don't like palm that high. Here's my favorite tried and true recipe:

35% OO
25% PO
20% CO
15% Avocado oil
5% Shea butter

Gives me lots of creamy, dense lather when I use a pouf or cloth in the shower. It doesn't melt away as long as it's allowed to dry in between showers. I'm also not a fan of high SF so usually go with 3-4%. But I have no issues with sensitive or dry skin so the choice of SF is up to you. Good luck with whatever recipe you decide to try! :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back