Help with recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm currently trying to find a recipe for specific oils and am not having great success- can anyone give me a good recipe for the following oils?

Olive oil (pomace)
Palm oil
coconut oil (76)
shea butter

Also could add another oil if needed that could be purchase locally- sunflower, canola, etc.

Thanks so much for any help! :)

seo said:
Hello all! I'm currently trying to find a recipe for specific oils and am not having great success- can anyone give me a good recipe for the following oils?

Olive oil (pomace)
Palm oil
coconut oil (76)
shea butter

Also could add another oil if needed that could be purchase locally- sunflower, canola, etc.

30% OP
30% PO
20%CO
10% sunflower or canola
10% shea

Or if you can get some castor which is wonderful in soap:

30% OP
30% PO
20% CO
10% canola, safflower or sunflower
5% castor
5% shea

You can also purchase some crisco or some lard and incorporate those in as well. Make sure to run whatever you come up with through the soap calc and remember that the soap quality numbers are just a guide and not set in stone. You can play with the calc to see how each oil and butter changes the properties of your soap. Depending on the type of soap you are wanting, will depend on the oils and butters and amounts of each that you choose to use. Here is a line to the soap calc.

http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalc.asp

seo said:

Olive oil (pomace)
Palm oil
coconut oil (76)
shea butter

CP gave you a pretty good soap. Here is what I'd do with those ingredients;

CO 30%
PO 36%
OP 24%
Shea 10%

I agree that adding a bit of Castor Oil, available at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy area in small starting out quantities, makes a better bubblier soap, along with the upped CO. Since Shea has a lot of unsaponifiables, it will help keep the bar more conditioning and the CO will give you a harder bar with big bubbles.

I'd do this;

CO 30%
PO 29%
OP 20%
Shea 8%
Sunflower 8% or Canola, Safflower.
Castor 5%

This is a tab better lathering bar with still big bubbles and cleaning from the CO, and conditioning from the Shea and Castor. Run this recipe through www.soapcalc.com and see what the numbers are. Your fatty acids along with oleic acids are pretty darn good with this recipe. Look at the ins and the iodine numbers too. You will learn what these all mean and combing of the right oils and butters create a "synergy" that builds a great bar of soap! SoapCalc will help to learn this! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back