Help with recipe please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetoe

Reaction score
Hey all! I could use some help or advice please. I recently made a couple of batches of 100% CO soap SF'd @ 20%. They've been curing for a couple weeks now and passed the zap test. I used a bar on my hands and at first was very impressed. They clean amazingly well but leave my hands very squeaky and dry. From what i've read this is common with CO. Does the soap need more time to cure?

I'd like a recipe that is more moisturizing. Can I modify this recipe or would you seek another recipe? If another recipe is the route I should go, can you recommend one? As always, thank you!

Last edited:
I made my first formula and subsequent first batch of soap using the information posted on DeeAnna's soapy stuff page. Here is the link: https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp

Scroll down to the Bar Soap section and go through the information. I liked doing my first formula this way because I was able to use the soap calculator and create my formula based on the guidelines she provides using the oils I have readily available. The problem with using other peoples recipes is they often times have special oils that I don't have access to without ordering online ... and waiting. :)

This link: https://classicbells.com/soap/soapCalcNumbers.asp and this link https://classicbells.com/soap/iodineINS.asp will help with understanding what the numbers mean and how best to build your formula.

Hope this helps. Happy soaping! :)

If you are not adverse to using palm oil, here is a recipe that I like:
20% coconut oil
35% palm
37% olive or rice bran oil
8% Castor oil

Your soap is way too young to be using right now. It needs a good 8 week minimum, I've found 6 months to be better for a 100% coconut soap.

This is my basic recipe for a balanced bar, cure min 6 weeks. 5% superfat

50% lard
20% coconut
25% olive oil
5% castor

What kind/brand of lard do you buy?

Hey all! I could use some help or advice please. I recently made a couple of batches of 100% CO soap SF'd @ 20%. They've been curing for a couple weeks now and passed the zap test. I used a bar on my hands and at first was very impressed. They clean amazingly well but leave my hands very squeaky and dry. From what i've read this is common with CO. Does the soap need more time to cure?

I'd like a recipe that is more moisturizing. Can I modify this recipe or would you seek another recipe? If another recipe is the route I should go, can you recommend one? As always, thank you!
I agree with the previous suggestions to cure a bit longer. I will also say that 100% CO is drying to my skin unless my SF is 30%. At that point, it is no longer drying, and I like it very much, but it's still not my favorite soap. For more conditioning, I personally love lard soaps, including 100% lard with goat's milk, and also this one:

30% lard
30% OO
20% CO
10% castor
5% each of shea and cocoa butter
8% SF
1 tsp PPO sugar for lather boost
1% SL or or 1 tsp salt PPO for hardness
1 puff of tussah silk
Optional: water replaced with vinegar, aloe vera juice, goat's milk, etc.

EDITED: I had the CO and OO reversed - fixed now!

Last edited:
Good morning! Thanks for all the tips and advice. I tried Obsidians recipe, everything went well. Soap was a little soft, but after a few days in the mold was okay to cut. Soaps been curing for about a week now, but I noticed DOS all over the bars. Wonder if the lard was old from walmart? It was the armor brand, was bright white in color and didn't smell unpleasant? Any thoughts?

Good morning! Thanks for all the tips and advice. I tried Obsidians recipe, everything went well. Soap was a little soft, but after a few days in the mold was okay to cut. Soaps been curing for about a week now, but I noticed DOS all over the bars. Wonder if the lard was old from walmart? It was the armor brand, was bright white in color and didn't smell unpleasant? Any thoughts?

While rancid oil is often the major cause of DOS, there are other factors that can contribute to it.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/dreaded-orange-spots/

It does seem very early to have DOS. Did you use any FO, EO, or botanicals?

Yes, I used a FO from NaturesGarden. Vanilla Champagne I think it was.

Also have another question if you don't mind. I am considering experimenting with an 80% Lard 20% CO but I'm unsure of how to SF? I see some people doing high SF while others lower. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any fragrance oil with vanilla in it will discolor your soap. That's probably causing the spots you are seeing, and not DOS. The discoloration often starts in spots and spreads throughout the soap over a few weeks, turning the soap anywhere from tan to very dark brown. It can be fun to watch it morph. :)

Also have another question if you don't mind. I am considering experimenting with an 80% Lard 20% CO but I'm unsure of how to SF? I see some people doing high SF while others lower. Any advice?

Do you have dry skin? If so, you might want to start at 8% and see what you think. For oily skin, perhaps start at 5%. It's great to make small batches to compare them and see what you prefer.

Any fragrance oil with vanilla in it will discolor your soap. That's probably causing the spots you are seeing, and not DOS. The discoloration often starts in spots and spreads throughout the soap over a few weeks, turning the soap anywhere from tan to very dark brown. It can be fun to watch it morph. :)

Do you have dry skin? If so, you might want to start at 8% and see what you think. For oily skin, perhaps start at 5%. It's great to make small batches to compare them and see what you prefer.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back