Help with recipe please...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appalasia

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have a recipe that i like a lot and feels great on my skin but it contains shea butter and i would prefer to use lard instead. The recipe is
Coconut oil 35%
Canola oil 30%
Shea butter 20%
Avacado oil 15%
6% superfat and 35% lye concentration
My other recipe is:
45%lard
5% castor oil
5% safflower oil
20% coconut oil
5%superfat and 30% lye concentration.
I was thinking of doing a recipe and i was wondering what people thought of it, it would be:
Lard 6.2oz
Coconut oil 11.2 oz
Canaola oil 9.6 oz
Avacado oil 4.8 oz
5% superfat and 33% lye concentration
I would appreciate any help!

That looks perfectly fine to me....the fatty acid profile of the bottom lard version (which looks to be a 1 to 1 replacement for the shea version at the top) looks pretty identical to the shea version, only the palmitic acid and stearic acid percentages are switched, which is no big thing- the two are pretty comparable to each other, making it all equal out in the end.

The middle recipe is not complete as written....the oil amount does not add up to 100%. It is short by 25%.

Edited to add: just make sure to run the lard version through a lye calculator to get the proper amount of lye.

IrishLass :)

That looks perfectly fine to me....the fatty acid profile of the bottom lard version (which looks to be a 1 to 1 replacement for the shea version at the top) looks pretty identical to the shea version, only the palmitic acid and stearic acid percentages are switched, which is no big thing- the two are pretty comparable to each other, making it all equal out in the end.

The middle recipe is not complete as written....the oil amount does not add up to 100%. It is short by 25%.

Edited to add: just make sure to run the lard version through a lye calculator to get the proper amount of lye.

Crap u r right..sorry, the middle recipe also contains 25% olive oil. Thanks for getting back to me i get nervous about trying out new recipes.

I just checked out the middle recipe with the 25% OO added. It will make a very nice bar higher on the conditioning side and lower on the big fluffy-type lather in comparison to your top and bottom formulas.

I just checked out the middle recipe with the 25% OO added. It will make a very nice bar higher on the conditioning side and lower on the big fluffy-type lather in comparison to your top and bottom formulas.

Thanks for your help!!

Latest posts

Back