Help with recipe please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Hi. Im new to soapmaking and am enjoying it..... its addictive :D
Ive tried to read up as much as I could and have been a little overwhelmed on all the websites out there.
I decided to try my own recipe and have used the calculator from thesage.com

heres the recipe

400g olive oil or in % 40% olive oil
300g coconut oil 30% coconut oil
200g sunflower oil 20% sunflower oil
100g castor oil 10% castor oil
320ml water 320ml water
140 lye 140 lye

recipe was made like this as it used oils I have had left over. Is it going to end up too soft? So far I cant get it out of the mold :? and I made it wednesday evening. It was insulated and gelled.

Any help would be great.

Dragonfly

Hi! It is addictive. I am a newby too, so can't help much. With the unmolding, try putting it in your freezer for 30 minutes or an hour. The cold will shrink the soap from the edges of the mold to help it release.

Good luck!

SimplyE said:
Hi! It is addictive. I am a newby too, so can't help much. With the unmolding, try putting it in your freezer for 30 minutes or an hour. The cold will shrink the soap from the edges of the mold to help it release.

Good luck!

I totally agree with SimplyE. The freezer is very helpful.

Your soap should set up nice and hard with that amount of coconut oil in it, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Another little ingredient I find helpful for stubborn batches is mineral oil. I oil my molds lightly with that if I have any doubts. It doesn't saponify, and most of the time stuff will pop right out. :)

Thank you everyone for your help. It still hasnt set properly and I managed to break my mold in the process (correction hubby broke it) Im thinking that I must of screwed up with something. Oh well guess i have an excuse to make more batches :lol:

I second the mineral oil. Adding a little salt to your batch will harden it a bit. Sodium lactic acid (SLA) will also help to release from your mold.

Paul

Your recipe contains 70% soft oils so you probably should be leaving it in the mold for about 48 hours. The more soft oils you use the longer it may take to harden up. :D

I ran your recipe through SoapCalc and it seems fine.....give the olive oil time to do its thing (it will harden up nicely if given time) and you'll have a great conditioning bar of soap.

How high was your superfat? I ask becuase I was playing with your recipe percentages over at SoapCalc (my favorite playground :wink: ) and it kept telling me that based on your recipe amounts, your superfat level was very close to 10. If true, that could be your culprit right there. With that high of a superfat in this kind of soap recipe, your resulting problem is very understandable. I would try lowering the superfat to 5, or 7 at the highest next time.

IrishLass

Edited to add that apart from the superfat level, your recipe looks perfectly fine to me. :)

Latest posts

Back