Help with new recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind

Reaction score
Can I please have your opinion/suggestions of what the main properties ( ie. lotion, cleansing, bubbly, creamy, etc) the recipe will produce. Only things that will be added are Vitamin E along with EO and natural colorants ie. clay, spices, milks, etc. Recipe formulated with 8% SF, 33% water discount, and 1% fragrance.

Soap Bar Your Recipe Quality
Range
Hardness 43 29 - 54
Cleansing 18 12 - 22
Conditioning 53 44 - 69
Bubbly 23 14 - 46
Creamy 30 16 - 48
Iodine 59 41 - 70
INS 149 136 - 165

Lauric 13
Myristic 5
Palmitic 14
Stearic 11
Ricinoleic 5
Oleic 37
Linoleic 11
Linolenic 1

I'm not sure what you're asking. That recipe is certainly within acceptable parameters. I would find it a little too cleansing (I use no more than 20% co), and my recipes are higher in oleic and conditioning.

I agree with the cleansing, unless there's a reason for making it that high, or you already know that number works for you.

I have only one soap that's high coconut - my teenager's BO bar we call it lol - and that's at 17 with 5% SF. After several experiments the rest of us noticed we like soap that's at 12-15 cleansing only, SF at 3-5%.

I try to keep my SF low coz I don't wanna push my drains limits lol so instead of increasing my coconut for bubbles and hardness, I try to find other alternatives for that.

That being said, these are our findings for what works for us. You'll have to make your soap and test it, then tweak it to suit you. Good luck! Keep us updated :)

upload_2019-4-1_7-33-50.png

Would that be a better recipe at 8% or would it be better at 5% SF? I will be using EO for scenting.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-31_11-32-5.png
    upload_2019-3-31_11-32-5.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I’ve been recently experimenting with using a 2-3% SF instead of the 5 or 7 I started with and I gotta say, I prefer it.

I’ve been recently experimenting with using a 2-3% SF instead of the 5 or 7 I started with and I gotta say, I prefer it.
Me too. I started lowering my SF when I started lowering my cleansing number too. When my oleic number was really high I used 2% and anything else gets between 3-5%.

@Lind if it were me soaping that I'd use 3-4% SF with 2:1 lye ratio.. And I'd ditch the small amount of sunflower oil and add that amount to up my cocoa butter. See how you like those numbers....

Do you really not want to make a smaller batch? :)

How many batches have you made? I think 5% or 8% superfat would be fine. Do you tend towards dryer skin? Then maybe 8%. I don't think you're going to see a HUGE difference between the two - some difference, yes, but it won't be "this soap is garbage" or "this soap is perfect!"

That's a pretty big batch - I'd also recommend a smaller one. If that's what fits your mold, you can go to Michael's or Joanne's or Hobby Lobby (take your coupon!) and get a silicone baking mold.

What EO are you using? Notice that you'll need 9 oz of it.

Yes I forgot to ask if you're skin is on the drier side, glad dixiedragon brought it up.
That's a pretty big batch - I'd also recommend a smaller one. If that's what fits your mold, you can go to Michael's or Joanne's or Hobby Lobby (take your coupon!) and get a silicone baking mold.
Or don't fill the mold, like I do. And also Meena hehehe

Back