Help With Mica Colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone help me out with my soap (grey batch), need to know why I keep getting this effect happening in my soap. I have been trying to do 'swirls' or more dual colour effects, the top looks ok, the bottoms are variable, some are solid one colour, or a mix. But the sides are the worst. For this batch I split the soap into 2 jugs and coloured one and then poured them together. I did research and that is how it is suggested to do it but its working out worse than my very first lot.

My first lot (pink batch) I just mixed the mica in some isoprpyl alcohol and dripped in into the mould as I poured the soap in. The bottoms and tops looked ok, sides didn't ahve nearly the same weeping effect as the latest batch. But I found that there was very little to no colour swirl in the middle of the bar. Is there a way to get the interior of the soap look better with this method? Sorry I only have a pic of the top and bottoms on the pick batch

Attachments

• 20220723_143650.jpg
    20220723_143650.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220723_143712.jpg
    20220723_143712.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220713_170358 v2.jpg
    20220713_170358 v2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Thank, I have read that guide before and it doesn't really answer what is happening. I don't mind the colours blending more together, in fact that sort of wispy swirl was what I wanted. It is that weeping effect on the sides that is the problem, where it looks like the mica is just settling and filtering to the bottom, I tried pouring at different temps but got the same effect happening each time.

I know this won't be a lot of help, but I have noticed with mica and MP, that some micas will stay disbursed more evenly and some will pool at the bottom. I have mainly switched to CP, so do not remember which did which. The only one I remember vividly was BB Red Desert Mica, it tended to pool.

Back