Help with LS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the links. What do you mean by “broke” the soap?

If you add too much acid to a liquid soap, you will separate the fatty acids from the lye/water solution. Doing so "breaks" the soap into it's component parts.

I have a question regarding using your method of 1/3 water and 2/3 glycerin, does the water brings the temperature to the lye high enough that I don’t have to use heat when adding the glycerin?

If you add the lye to the water, you do not need to heat the glycerin. Heat is only used as a catalyst to dissolve the KOH in the glycerin. KOH readily dissolves in water. This is why many of us use this method.

I will try it when I get my order of EDTA. Everything you mentioned is helpful. Thank you for sharing.

You might as well know how to do it arithmetically also. It's not hard.

Scenario 1
You want to make a certain amount of solution, let's say 8 oz, and want to know how much EDTA and water to use.

EDTA is 0.39 x 8 = 3.12 oz

Water is 0.61 x 8 = 4.88 oz

The total is 8 oz.

Scenario 2
You have a certain amount of EDTA, let's say 4 oz, and want to know how much water to add for a 39% solution.

Water is (4 / 0.39) - 4 = 6.26 oz

You might as well know how to do it arithmetically also. It's not hard.

Scenario 1
You want to make a certain amount of solution, let's say 8 oz, and want to know how much EDTA and water to use.

EDTA is 0.39 x 8 = 3.12 oz

Water is 0.61 x 8 = 4.88 oz

The total is 8 oz.

Scenario 2
You have a certain amount of EDTA, let's say 4 oz, and want to know how much water to add for a 39% solution.

Water is (4 / 0.39) - 4 = 6.26 oz
Thank you topofmurrayhill , I just saw your reply and I like it. I don't have much time to check on the forum more often this is why I didn't see it until now.

Latest posts

Back