Help with lotion making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have re read this thread twice today as I finally made my first lotion and had some challenges.
Just want to say thanks for your last comment as I see I never did reply but I did read it and everyone is so helpful.

I seem to be doing it differently to everyone else. I'm heating my water and adding heated Cetyl/E-wax to it and then holding that heat and heating up my oils and adding my oils to my heated water when they are 170 degrees F. Then stick blending a little until it cools and then adding preservative and FO/EO. I have no idea if this is the best thing to do. I have read what I can online but learn way better by videos etc and the things I am seeing on you tube is different. Maybe there are a few different ways? Anyway, thanks again for your comment. I know this will all take time to learn. I lost my home and had a bit of a sad time recently and in my mind I was always looking forward to finally being able to make some lotion LOL, and finally I did! So I was a bit sad that it didn't work out well but I do know it's a science.
So sorry you lost your home! I hope things get better soon.
Lotions are tricky so do not lose hope, you will get it eventually. I do not think wax and water really mix, it would be like oil and water I think, until the emulsifier is included, so it might be better to include the cetyl/e-wax in your oil phase. Since you say you learn better from videos, here is mine, it is actually for a conditioner, which is essentially a lotion for your hair, I do try to follow the steps from the Lotion making group as best as I can:

Lotions are tricky so do not lose hope, you will get it eventually. I do not think wax and water really mix, it would be like oil and water I think, until the emulsifier is included, so it might be better to include the cetyl/e-wax in your oil phase. Since you say you learn better from videos, here is mine, it is actually for a conditioner, which is essentially a lotion for your hair, I do try to follow the steps from the Lotion making group as best as I can:

Thanks - it will get better eventually.
Hmmm, I don't know why in class we mixed it with the water. Makes sense to add it to the oil phase.

I can't wait to watch this - thank you so much. Off to go watch it now since everyone is off to sleep! Thanks again :)

That was SO helpful! Wow - I learned a lot in those 10 minutes. Thank you so much for it! So clear and easy to understand.
So you held your oil phase and water phase together. I have to figure out how to hold it and keep it at the same temp for 20 minutes. I think this will just take trial and error. You make it look so easy :) I'm sure you have done this many many times and built up confidence. Such a good and easy to understand tutorial!

...I'm heating my water and adding heated Cetyl/E-wax to it and then holding that heat and heating up my oils and adding my oils to my heated water when they are 170 degrees F....

I said in your other thread about your lotion being oily is there is some chemistry going on during the heat and hold phase. For this reason if no other, you really should combine the emulsifier with the fats, not the water, when doing the heat and hold step. The mixture of the fats and emulsifier is where the chemistry is happening.

Your method of heating the fats separately from the emulsifier greatly reduces the chances that this desirable chemistry can happen. I'm not saying the chemistry will not happen with this odd method, but it's less likely to be as effective.

Back