Help with liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kspringer

Reaction score
I found a recipe to make liquid soap using Castile soap but it doesn’t call for a preservative. How much preservative do you add? The recipe called for 1/2 c Castile soap and 1/2 c of distilled water. Also could add vitamin e oil and almond oil. I’m a super beginner and kind of lost as to where to begin

That's not making soap. It's just watering down already made soap. If you want to make liquid soap you'll have to use Potassium Hydroxide.

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking but wanted another opinion on it. I make bar soap but am wanting to do liquid also. I’ve read where you can use liquid soap made with Potassium Hydroxide shortly after making it. Is this correct? Since it’s a liquid and you aren’t waiting for the liquid to dry out of it.

I make bar soap but am wanting to do liquid also.
Here's a link to Alaiyna B Blogspot for Basic Beginner Liquid Soap for you to try. Many LS recipes on YouTube and elsewhere make enormous amounts of LS. It's best to start with small (12-16 oz) batches to start with. The process is similar to making hard bars, except, as you noted, you use KOH instead of NaOH to make the "paste". Once the paste is fully saponified, you dilute it.

So, 12 oz. oils makes 16 oz. paste which you can then divide into 4 portions to play with. It's a good way to determine the right amount of dilution water needed to dissolve that particular batch. It varies with the type of oils in the formula.

Thank you so much!!! I’ve been trying to find as much info but I get totally overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. I really appreciate you sharing this with me!

Thank you so much!!! I’ve been trying to find as much info but I get totally overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. I really appreciate you sharing this with me!
You're so very welcome. I know quite well how easy it is to get overwhelmed at that stage. Good luck to you and enjoy the journey! 😁

Back