Help with Liquid soap - Ops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrahmer

Reaction score
I am hoping that someone could help me with a mistake I made. I was making some liquid Castile soap and realized that i used the wrong Lye. I used Sodium instead of Potassium. My soap was already at medium trace so I put it in a mold. I looked at it several hours latter and it is cracked down the middle. I believe that is is due to my recipe was a little lye heavy.

Here is my question. Can I run my recipe through a lye calc with with Sodium used and adjust the oils to accommodate the amount of lye I used? If that works, do I just melt down my current batch? I don't want to throw this away if I there is a way to fix this.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

I can't see why not. The worst that happens is you have to throw out the batch. Keep in mind you can also use it for laundry as you would want a lye heavy soap for maximum cleaning.

Have fun with your experiments and make sure you let us know how you made out.

Well, I re-batched my soap yesterday and It turned out really well. I was surprised to learn that it was not as difficult as some of the instructions I have read online.

Thanks for the help!

[attachment=0:jc2w9bdg]Soap.jpg[/attachment:jc2w9bdg]

Attachments

• Soap.jpg
    Soap.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 149
Back