Help with liquid lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using straight argan on my face and I really like it but I'd like to add some water so its more moisturizing and not just greasy. I don't want it thick at all, a water like consistency is just fine with me (I don't want extra wax on my face).
I've tried to figure recipes out for myself but I just can't seem to grasp the concept of lotion formulas. I was thinking 50/50 water/oil and just enough ewax to keep it emulsified would be great, can anyone help?

Yeah, I know I need preservative but I know to to calculate that. The recipe you linked sounds ok but I don't want any thickeners in it. I really just need to know how much ewax it will take to emulsify a 50/50 water/oil mix but I think I may have found the answer on that link. Thanks.

I haven't tried out any formulation like this, but I was thinking... poly 80 to emulsify instead of a wax? Almost like an oil mister? It would give you more you a spritzing consistency.

For the emulsifying wax, my notes say it should be 25% of the oils and butters. But that Poly solution sounds interesting. Let us know.

I JUST made a face cream. Babassu oil and tallow. Whipped the raw ingredients (no heating involved) and it was very nice, but the jar I had in the bathroom, there was oil in the bottom after my shower so it didn't hold up to heat or humidity very well. I melted it over a double boiler and added soy wax which gave it a marvelous consistency, and hopefully some added protection against the dry cold winter. I still have a jar from the same batch that is as it was when I originally made in it's original state. I want to add glycerin and am in the process of working out how to do that. I did not add preservative to it as it contains no water and is only for my use (at least until I get it perfected). Personally, I'd rather have a wax than a preservative in my product. I used soy wax as it seems softer than bees wax. The wax did thicken it a bit which is ok with me, and I do not use my hands to get the product out of the jar.

If you want a light lotion, the oil is going to be 5 to 10% of the total, no more. By the time you get to 20% oil or higher, it is no longer a lotion. It gets very thick. The emulsifier will add anywhere from 3 to 10% of the total, depending on the emulsifier. Plus, you need a preservative. You can always use a water and oil mix that you shake before using. You would still need a preservative.

Back