help with layers in a sunflower mold

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

kelly2019

Reaction score
I want to make a CP salt/spa bar and have a salt layer on bottom, but I want to do the reg recipe on top where the flower design is, (which means on bottom since I'll be pouring into the silicone sunflower molds.)
Will I pour my reg batter in and then wait until it hardens somewhat.... add the salt to the remaining batter and fill the rest?

would adding a bit of clay help that first layer harden up quicker?

maybe this is too much information, lol, but I want the pretty soap part to be the design (sunflower) part, and the salt part to go on bottom when unmolded.

Since the salt batter will thicken quicker, should I do two separate recipes, or split the oil and lye and mix it right before?
Is there anything I need to know about the layers sticking together since I'll need to let the plain batter harden before adding the salt batter? I've read that m&p needs to be sprayed with alcohol to stick together....do I need any extra steps for my layers to stick? I don't plan on a pencil line of any kind since it will be single bars and not cut.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That will work fine. As long as individual molds. Shouldn’t be a problem. I have plans in the near future to do the same but in a loaf mold. I will do the regular first and let it saponify. Then add the salt soap and let it gel too. Since salt soap has to be cut when still warm. Now I just need to make time to do my plan.

kelly2019

Reaction score
That will work fine. As long as individual molds. Shouldn’t be a problem. I have plans in the near future to do the same but in a loaf mold. I will do the regular first and let it saponify. Then add the salt soap and let it gel too. Since salt soap has to be cut when still warm. Now I just need to make time to do my plan.
That's what I was thinking, but I don't want to get in the middle of something and then have some crazy stuff happen! lol I thought I'd do the singles so I don't have to worry about cutting them.
I'm a rookie.

no alcohol needed between the layers even after the first layer saponifies?

Last edited by a moderator:

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used alcohol between layers with CP and not had any issues. Sorry. Miss typed.

Last edited:

Rune

Reaction score
I have seen on Youtube, I think it was, that if you do spray with alcohol just after pouring one layer, then it the alcohol will quickly make a film on top, so that you can pour your next layer without it breaking thru that easily. I remember seing that in a video when they made a layered soap. Spraying with alcohol was the trick to get perfect layers. And it was not melt & pour soap, but regular cold processed.

Or maybe it wasn't from Youtube I have it, but from this forum, from @shunt2011 :D

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-get-super-clean-layers.53891/

Last edited by a moderator:

kelly2019

Reaction score

Latest posts