help with layers in a sunflower mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly2019

Reaction score
I want to make a CP salt/spa bar and have a salt layer on bottom, but I want to do the reg recipe on top where the flower design is, (which means on bottom since I'll be pouring into the silicone sunflower molds.)
Will I pour my reg batter in and then wait until it hardens somewhat.... add the salt to the remaining batter and fill the rest?

would adding a bit of clay help that first layer harden up quicker?

maybe this is too much information, lol, but I want the pretty soap part to be the design (sunflower) part, and the salt part to go on bottom when unmolded.

Since the salt batter will thicken quicker, should I do two separate recipes, or split the oil and lye and mix it right before?
Is there anything I need to know about the layers sticking together since I'll need to let the plain batter harden before adding the salt batter? I've read that m&p needs to be sprayed with alcohol to stick together....do I need any extra steps for my layers to stick? I don't plan on a pencil line of any kind since it will be single bars and not cut.

That will work fine. As long as individual molds. Shouldn’t be a problem. I have plans in the near future to do the same but in a loaf mold. I will do the regular first and let it saponify. Then add the salt soap and let it gel too. Since salt soap has to be cut when still warm. Now I just need to make time to do my plan.

That will work fine. As long as individual molds. Shouldn’t be a problem. I have plans in the near future to do the same but in a loaf mold. I will do the regular first and let it saponify. Then add the salt soap and let it gel too. Since salt soap has to be cut when still warm. Now I just need to make time to do my plan.

That's what I was thinking, but I don't want to get in the middle of something and then have some crazy stuff happen! lol I thought I'd do the singles so I don't have to worry about cutting them.
I'm a rookie.

no alcohol needed between the layers even after the first layer saponifies?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen on Youtube, I think it was, that if you do spray with alcohol just after pouring one layer, then it the alcohol will quickly make a film on top, so that you can pour your next layer without it breaking thru that easily. I remember seing that in a video when they made a layered soap. Spraying with alcohol was the trick to get perfect layers. And it was not melt & pour soap, but regular cold processed.

Or maybe it wasn't from Youtube I have it, but from this forum, from @shunt2011 :D

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/how-to-get-super-clean-layers.53891/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back