Help with hair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next, ALL soaps are lye based. So are shampoos. They ALLLLLL lye based. You can look up no-lye soap recipes, but they aren't that effective, used supposidly by extremely sensitive people. I don't know anyone who has tried these recipes actually. Commercial soaps sold in stores are ALL lye based. You can look this up. This is not a secret. The comments on here are just bizarre about lye being a big scary thing that nobody uses on hair ever oooooooo!
Please don't go around spreading false information like "all shampoo is made with lye." I think you are confusing melt & pour soap with syndets. Yes, M&P soap based is originally created using lye, but syndets are a completely different product.

Today, most commercial shampoos, laundry detergents, dish detergents, and dishwasher detergents are made with synthetic detergents (syndets). They do not contain actual soap, and were not made with lye. My handcrafted solid shampoo bars also contain no soap, only syndets, and thus were not made with lye.

I washed my hair with soap for years, and it was fine. However, since I quit using soap bars for shampoo, and started making and using syndet bars, my hair is much more soft, less dry, and more manageable.

To be clear, I agree that lye isn't the issue, since no lye remains in properly finished soap. The issue for many people is that the pH of soap is too high, and it dries out their hair terribly. The example of folks using soap to wash their hair in years past isn't comparing apples to apples, because most folks today wash their hair much more frequently than folks in earlier times. The high pH that didn't bother folks who washed their hair once every couple of weeks, is much more damaging when one washes that same hair almost daily.

I've read this thread and had to comment on the discouraging content. If you want to make soap bars, perfect a recipe, sell them, whatever you want to do, never be discouraged by others!

First, this lawsuit is specifically regarding a contract dispute - and NOT about an issue with a recipe. You can read the court's opinion here: Waldrep Bros. Beauty Supply, Inc. v. Wynn Beauty Supply Co., 992 F.2d 59 | Casetext Search + Citator

It is complete hogwash to think a big commercial company can sell shampoo but you can't. This is the very BEST time to sell shampoo bars! They have no plastic bottles, and you can formulate them specially for local people's hair that you know, with fragrances popular in the area.

This cosmetologist - I am licensed too, by the way, has forgotten that commercial shampoos and conditioners, and all hair products were all just created by companies to make money, not to fill a need. Marketers are in business to make money! These products are less than 100 years old. My great aunt told me that when she stayed at her grandmother's (my great-grandmother's), they used the same soap to do everything: from laundry, to washing bodies, to hair, to dishes. They made the soap once a year, outside. She stayed with her when her mother, my grandmother, went to see my grandfather when he was on leave during WWII, and he couldn't get all the way home, he could only get to a base, so she met him there. This was in the mid 1940's!!! This would have been two ingredient soap! Ash and lard (and any other fats!).

I have very thick, thigh length hair myself so I have had zero ill effects of using shampoo bars.

Next, ALL soaps are lye based. So are shampoos. They ALLLLLL lye based. You can look up no-lye soap recipes, but they aren't that effective, used supposidly by extremely sensitive people. I don't know anyone who has tried these recipes actually. Commercial soaps sold in stores are ALL lye based. You can look this up. This is not a secret. The comments on here are just bizarre about lye being a big scary thing that nobody uses on hair ever oooooooo!

Sorry, just my 2 cents.
I agree. Before I had my head shaved, my hair was down to mid thigh. Cancer treatments made this nectary. No problem at all with the health of my hair from a lye soap shampoo bar.

Back