Help with for wax hair pomade recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peony Klaiber

Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping I could get some help/suggestions for the hair wax stick recipe I have been formulating. I am currently using this recipe:

4 tbs beeswax
3 tbs shea
3 tbs oil (1.5 tbs of jojoba and coconut oil)
1/2 tsp of vitamin e
15 drops of EO
1.5 tbs of cornstarch

I would like to add more grip, less stickiness (more slide?) and have the wax be firm in warmer temperatures. I have been pouring this formulation into deodorant sticks for application.

Would subbing out the shea for a harder butter like mango help with the firmness? Or would I be better off using candelilla or carnauba wax or a combination of waxes to help with the slide and firmness?

I came across this formulation a while back for a hair pomade
https://www.personalcaremagazine.com/formulation-details/2239/natural-hair-pomade?companyid=1259

I haven't tried it but it does look interesting. They use the fact that beeswax and castor oil form a gel type structure (like Vaseline) to give the product structure. Maybe you could try adding some castor oil to your formula.

PS - It will be much easier in the long run if you convert all of your ingredients to weights rather than tbs and drops. :)

I came across this formulation a while back for a hair pomade
https://www.personalcaremagazine.com/formulation-details/2239/natural-hair-pomade?companyid=1259

I haven't tried it but it does look interesting. They use the fact that beeswax and castor oil form a gel type structure (like Vaseline) to give the product structure. Maybe you could try adding some castor oil to your formula.

PS - It will be much easier in the long run if you convert all of your ingredients to weights rather than tbs and drops. :)

Thanks justjacqui! I will def be converting to weight! So much easier to make a larger batch!

Latest posts

Back