Help with extreme skin recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapprentice

Reaction score
Hi guys, my husband has a very oily T-zone and dry and sensitive cheeks and jaw area. His skin is kinda scaling off on his beard region ( I hope this makes sense) when using the store bought soap and as I started making handmade soap, he asked me to formulate one for him. I am thinking of a 50% coconut, 30% olive, 10% shea and 10% avocado oil with 15% SF. I value your opinions a lot , so please give me feedback regarding this or suggestions if any. I am not very confident with the coconut oil percentage.

In my opinion I'd just try him on pure Castile.

Failing that I would cut the CO out of your soap completely as many people find it drying or irritating even at 10%.

I like the looks of Dixiedragon's recipe (but I would probably lower the shea to 20% and add more olive oil. Stick with that low superfat). I have combination skin and for soap I prefer those designed for sensitive skin. Then toner, then moisturizer - I always have 2 or 3 different moisturizers on hand that I alternate depending on the season and how my skin feels day to day. A weekly clay mask (3 - 5 minute application max) helps a lot.

I personally think that the pH of homemade soap is simply too high for delicate facial skin. When I use even the gentlest of my bars on my face, my skin still feels too tight and dry afterwards. Soap, by nature, is not moisturizing.

I think the best thing your husband could do (assuming he hasn't already) is get a dermatologist's opinion on his skin problems. Excessive oil can actually be caused by cleansing TOO much (your skin ramps up oil production to compensate for too much dryness), so oiliness can actually improve with a reduced cleansing routine and more moisturization.

I personally love Cerave Foaming and Hydrating Cleansers. They match the skin's pH, are unfragranced, and very gentle. Cetaphil is also a popular brand.

I wash my face with lukewarm water in the morning, then use my Cerave cleanser in the evening. This routine keeps my sensitive skin happy. I have a few favourite moisturizers as well, but I don't want to launch into a giant post. Needless to say, I have an interest in skincare. :)

I also have combination skin. Really oily forehead and nose but dry and flaky every where else. Over cleansing is absolutely the worse thing your hubby can do, it will make the dry bits drier and make the oily spots produce more oil.

I've found the best way to wash combo skin is to use a more gentle soap and lather with the hands. Using a wash cloth or sponge can strip too much oil away. I've used store bought soap, handmade soap, detergent bars, liquid soaps and specialty facial cleansers. They are all basically the same to my skin, over use makes everything worse.

In winter, I have to use a moisturizer. Even if I only cleanse with water, I still get too dry. A lightweight moisturizer also helps my skin not produce so much oil. Right now I'm using a generic version of oil of olay original beauty fluid.

While you do your research on soaps I'd suggest a fractionated coconut beard oil - straight fractionated coconut oil, apply at least an hour after washing. The wait time is just because oil floats on water and if you use a beard oil you generally want it to soak in a bit.

I'm suggesting a beard oil while you research to give your husband a chance to exfoliate the skin under his beard and ensure the hair follicles aren't clogged.

While you do your research on soaps I'd suggest a fractionated coconut beard oil - straight fractionated coconut oil, apply at least an hour after washing. The wait time is just because oil floats on water and if you use a beard oil you generally want it to soak in a bit.

I'm suggesting a beard oil while you research to give your husband a chance to exfoliate the skin under his beard and ensure the hair follicles aren't clogged.

Coconut oil is one of the more potentially pore-clogging oils. Jojoba might be a better choice!

Thank you so much guys.. he uses avocado oil as it is lighter than coconut.. he says using moisturiser stings his skin on the dry parts. He did take dermatologist opinion, she asked him to apply oil.

IMO, that much coconut oil is far too harsh.

Try something like 50% shea, 35% olive, 5% castor, and 10% avocado. Use only a 2% superfat. I've got a 50% shea bar that I am really liking. I didn't at first b/c the first few uses it didn't lather, but now it lathers very well.

Thank you Dixie,I will give this a try and make a batch of Castile as well, but it has to cure for an year right..

Thank you so much guys.. he uses avocado oil as it is lighter than coconut.. he says using moisturiser stings his skin on the dry parts. He did take dermatologist opinion, she asked him to apply oil.

Fractionated coconut oil is really light, even more then avocado. Its the coconut that stays liquid. I found a bottle in the cooking oil section of my local grocery store. I don't know if it will clog pores or not though, I don't use it on my face much. Its great to cook with too, can take really high temps without smoking.

Most lotions/moisturizers burn my skin too but since I started using retinol A, I have to use some kind of moisturizer. The one I mentioned above doesn't burn at all and its not greasy. Its also really cheap so you'll only be out 3 bucks if he can't use it. It is pink and smells a bit like baby powder but it only lasts a few minutes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/41172979...75035&wl11=online&wl12=41172979&wl13=&veh=sem

Then at night I use this. Its a lot heavier and greasier but it feels so nice on extra dry skin.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Night-Time-Firming-Cream-2-oz/10533949

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your experience obsidian, will definitely give them a try.. he used both coconut oil and avocado, but liked avocado better.

Last edited:
Back