Help with DIY wooden molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1will

Reaction score
I am going to be making some of the molds like specified in the Lowes DIY project. I don't really like how they have their ends permanently secured so I would like to do more of a carriage bolt setup like I've seen brambleberry and others sell. I've never seen one of those up close and I was wondering if anyone who has one could explain how it's setup or even better provide some pictures. I was thinking if I were to anchor a threaded rod into the end pieces that drilled a matching hole into the sides I could use that and a wingnut to keep it firmly in place. I just want to make sure there's not an easier way that I'm missing. This will be my first woodworking project, so I'm by no means an expert.

What you described sounds just about right. I made my first mold that way (pictures below) and it works very well. Since then, I've built 3 more molds and the last one had all sides attached. When lined well with freezer paper, the soap lifts right out without removing sides. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1382582042.753478.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1382582052.063557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I also made one with 4 sides that were all attached with wood glue and nails and one side that simply attached with Velcro straps. That worked pretty well too. Still experimenting to see what I like best.

Yep, me too. I made mine so that the bolt can slide straight off the back after the wing nuts are loosened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Soap Making mobile app

What you described sounds just about right. I made my first mold that way (pictures below) and it works very well. Since then, I've built 3 more molds and the last one had all sides attached. When lined well with freezer paper, the soap lifts right out without removing sides. View attachment 4130View attachment 4131

Nice wood. What kind is it?

Back