Help with crumbly soap please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jody

Reaction score
I typed up a long rambling post about my crumbly soap and have no idea where it went. It just disappeared in the void.

I made soap a few weeks ago and it came out of the mold o.k. but when I went to cut it, it crumbled into little pieces.

I gave it the "zap" test a few muinutes ago and no zap. I also tried to test it with a PH stip but can't figure out how to read the strip. My brother gave me the strips from his hot tub store and he is coming here later this afternoon so I guess a lesson on reading the things is in order for me.

I have been reading about rebatching but it is already scented.

What happened????? HELP!!!!!!!

I think we'd really need to see what's in it to help.
I made a soap with a lot of honey in it a while back, it was soft and crumbly to cut even after a few days.

Oops, sorry. It was CP made with Olive oil, Cocoanut oil and canola oil which I have made several times no problem. It was scented with Nag Champa, Ylang, Ylang and Jasmine.

Jody said:
Oops, sorry. It was CP made with Olive oil, Cocoanut oil and canola oil which I have made several times no problem. It was scented with Nag Champa, Ylang, Ylang and Jasmine.

If you've made it in the past with no problems, it could be that you measured the water incorrectly, or maybe your scale is off. The only other question I can think of asking is have you soaped with those scents before?

If you get no zap, then it's not lye-heavy & testing the ph won't be of much help.

I have used the Ylang Ylang and Jasmine before but it was a first for the Nag Champa. Maybe that was it. I used 5 parts nag champa, 2 of Ylang Ylang and 2 of Jasmine.

Did it sieze maybe?????

Jody said:
I have used the Ylang Ylang and Jasmine before but it was a first for the Nag Champa. Maybe that was it. I used 5 parts nag champa, 2 of Ylang Ylang and 2 of Jasmine.

Did it sieze maybe?????

You would know if it seized. It would've been too thick to pour into the molds. Did you have to glop it rather than pour it?

I have a blend of Ylang Ylang & Myrrh that causes accelerated trace & I usually end up glopping it into the mold. It happens soooooooo fast!!! I have light trace, then WHAM!!! too thick to pour!! However, it's never caused my soap to be crumbly, so the two aren't related.

I know soapers have been using Nag Champa, & I haven't heard of any problems with it although I haven't used it myself.

Crumbly sounds more like not enough water to me.

Maybe I did measure wrong and didn't realize it.

What can I do about it now? I have been reading about rebatching but it is already scented. Does that matter?

Jody said:
Maybe I did measure wrong and didn't realize it.

What can I do about it now? I have been reading about rebatching but it is already scented. Does that matter?

Yes, you can re-batch. You'll probably lose the scent, though & will have to re-scent it at the end of the re-batch process. :(

Latest posts

Back