Help with bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollie87

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a beginner at making bath bombs. I live in a very humid environment which I no will not help. I have made some bath bombs and left them in the moulds overnight and they come out with ease and they feel hard however when I have left them in an air tight container a day layer they have gone soft but they were hard for at least 24 hours need help on how I can keep them to stay hard? Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Laura

Without knowing the ingredients, it is hard to make a guess as to the problem. It sounds like the bath bombs are drawing moisture; but as you stated, they are stored in an air-tight container.

Without knowing the ingredients, it is hard to make a guess as to the problem. It sounds like the bath bombs are drawing moisture; but as you stated, they are stored in an air-tight container.
I used these ingredients, I leave them in the moulds in the fridge for an hour and take them out of the moulds after being in them overnight. I can get them out and they are hard but after a day of them being left in an air tight container they seem to get softer as the days go by. So unsure where I am going wrong. I have ordered some clay so im hoping that may help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-124001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-124001_Chrome.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 31
I would wrap them in cling-wrap after unmolding, and then put them in an airtight container.

You might also consider leaving out the Epsom salt, as that does tend to attract moisture, and coconut oil, because it softens easily in warmer temps. If you search some of the threads on this forum, I believe @lsg and others have shared some tried-and-true recipes that might work better for you.

Epsom salt will draw in moisture, which if you live in a humid environment, it's very likely the culprit. Also, do not put your bombs in the fridge to harden. Just like if you were to take something out of the fridge and leave on the counter, it will form condensation. This is likely happening in your bomb, thus causing it to go soft.

Also, as LilyJo mentioned, food coloring not a good idea to use in bath bombs. It can stain you and/or your bathtub.

Hi all, I am a beginner at making bath bombs. I live in a very humid environment which I no will not help. I have made some bath bombs and left them in the moulds overnight and they come out with ease and they feel hard however when I have left them in an air tight container a day layer they have gone soft but they were hard for at least 24 hours need help on how I can keep them to stay hard? Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Laura
a lot of people will put them in a container that has a few inches of rice on the bottom. That helps absorb any extra moisture. You should be using lakes or fd&c batch certified dyes to color your bombs. Especially if you plan to sell them.

Epsom salt will draw in moisture, which if you live in a humid environment, it's very likely the culprit. Also, do not put your bombs in the fridge to harden. Just like if you were to take something out of the fridge and leave on the counter, it will form condensation. This is likely happening in your bomb, thus causing it to go soft.

Also, as LilyJo mentioned, food coloring not a good idea to use in bath bombs. It can stain you and/or your bathtub.
I missed the part about putting them in the fridge - good catch! Along with the Epsom salts, the refrigeration and then warming up is most definitely contributing to the problem.

I'm also battling with humidity problems and swelling bath bombs.
My humidity today was only around 40 though and my bombs are still swelling.
My recipe is as follows
1C baking soda
1/2C citric acid
1/2C corn starch
2t coconut oil
2.5t witch hazel
14 drops essence.

Does something sound wrong? I leave my bombs in the mould for 24hrs, but within an hour it's grown a bit out of the mould.
Please help.

Latest posts

Back