Quantcast

Help with Bath Bombs please.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Minki

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm desperate for some advice and guidance please. Until recently I always made perfect bath bombs using the recipe below. Now all of a sudden they're perfect until 24-48 hrs later when they get a giant crack in the middle.
This is my recipe

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup citric acid
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon other oil
2 teaspoons witch hazel
Few drops of essence.

I use only powder coloring. It always worked so well but now they're almost all cracking within 24-48 hrs
I'd so appreciate some advice. Thank you.

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm desperate for some advice and guidance please. Until recently I always made perfect bath bombs using the recipe below. Now all of a sudden they're perfect until 24-48 hrs later when they get a giant crack in the middle.
This is my recipe

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup citric acid
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon other oil
2 teaspoons witch hazel
Few drops of essence.

I use only powder coloring. It always worked so well but now they're almost all cracking within 24-48 hrs
I'd so appreciate some advice. Thank you.
Have you checked your humidity level? I am not making bath bombs right now because the humidity is so low, like 31%! I like it around 40 to 45%.

Terri E

"Tucked away in the mountains"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen before and found that I had added a little too much moisture (alcohol/witch hazel) to the mix. I also add cocoa butter and a little shea to mine as well as cream of tartar and turkey red castor oil.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a recipe for "no-fail" bath bombs. It has worked for me. If you don't want to use Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetat, make the difference up with citric acid and baking soda.

No Fail Foaming Bath Bombs
1 cup Citric Acid (7.4 ounces)
2 cups Sodium Bicarbonate (17.3 ounces)
¼ cup of Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (1.6 ounces)
¼ cup Cream of Tartar (1.4 ounces)
½ cup melted Deodorized Cocoa Butter (3.2 ounces)
1 tsp essential or fragrance oil

Note: Ounce measurements given in () are by weight.

Make sure to wear a mask or tie a handkerchief over your nose when working with sodium lauryl sulfoacetate as it is very powdery and can irritate bronchial passages. Mix all of the dry ingredients until there are no lumps and all is well blended. Mix in the melted cocoa butter and the EO or FO. Mix until all is well blended.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a recipe for "no-fail" bath bombs. It has worked for me. If you don't want to use Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetat, make the difference up with citric acid and baking soda.

Make sure to wear a mask or tie a handkerchief over your nose when working with sodium lauryl sulfoacetate as it is very powdery and can irritate bronchial passages. Mix all of the dry ingredients until there are no lumps and all is well blended. Mix in the melted cocoa butter and the EO or FO. Mix until all is well blended.
I'm curious... you don't add any liquid other than the melted CB and fragrance, so no RA, witch hazel or water to bring it to wet-sand consistency?

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm curious... you don't add any liquid other than the melted CB and fragrance, so no RA, witch hazel or water to bring it to wet-sand consistency?
No other liquid except what is shown in the recipe.

Minki

Reaction score
I have had this happen before and found that I had added a little too much moisture (alcohol/witch hazel) to the mix. I also add cocoa butter and a little shea to mine as well as cream of tartar and turkey red castor oil.
Thank you so much. I experimented with recipes with less moisture and they wouldn't stick together at all. What's perplexing me is that I literally used the same recipe for ages and never had a problem.

Minki

Reaction score

Thank you so much. I really really appreciate it. I'm going to try this recipe. If I don't use the sodium thing do i use equal amounts of bicarb and citric acid please?
Thanks so much.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I would use 2 parts baking soda and 1 part citric acid.

Latest posts