Help with a recipe please!! I wish I were a scientist...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjane

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to formulate a recipe using the oils I have at the moment. I have to wait for payday to buy anything else! Yes, I am a junkie already! Here is what I came up with using the Soapcalc.com calculator that Faithy so helpingly (is that a word?) pointed out to me.

Shortening - 45%
Coconut Oil - 25%
Canola Oil - 20%
Cocoa Butter - 10%

Hardness - 39
Cleansing - 17
Condition - 56
Bubbly - 17
Creamy - 22

Is my coconut oil too high a percentage? I read somewhere that it should not be over 20%

I also have on hand castor oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, and peach kernal oil but those (except for castor) are all conditioning oils, right? :oops:

Oh brother I am so confused. I think I may have done TOO much research for one day and now all the info is overwhelming. Any help that anyone can give me on tweaking this would be awesome indeed!!

Thanks!!

How about this.....

Shortening 50%
Coconut Oil 25%
Canola Oil 15%
Cocoa Butter 5%
Castor Oil 5%

Hardness 37
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 58
Bubbly 21
Creamy 24

Aaaaaah, seems much better. You guys are so awesome!! Hopefully soon I will be as soap smart as you! I do like the idea of adding castor oil for some reason. I will let you know how it goes!

It just takes a little practice and before long you will be a pro.

The combination of coconut oil with a bit of castor oil, makes awesome lather. I have heard that higher amounts of casor oil (about 10% and up) tends to give a sticky soap. But I don't know for sure since I try to keep mine between 5-8% but closer to the 5% mark.

and there are so many wonderful oils that you can purchase local as well.

I just bought a gallon of rice bran oil at Tractor Supple (TSC) and did some reading on it and found how good it is for the skin. I've made lotion from it but haven't tried it in soap yet.

But safflower oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil...... I know since I started soaping I look at the oil section in the grocery store in a whole new light.

faithy said:
It just takes a little practice and before long you will be a pro.

The combination of coconut oil with a bit of castor oil, makes awesome lather. I have heard that higher amounts of casor oil (about 10% and up) tends to give a sticky soap. But I don't know for sure since I try to keep mine between 5-8% but closer to the 5% mark.

and there are so many wonderful oils that you can purchase local as well.

I just bought a gallon of rice bran oil at Tractor Supple (TSC) and did some reading on it and found how good it is for the skin. I've made lotion from it but haven't tried it in soap yet.
They have rice bran oil @ TRS? How much is it?

But safflower oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil...... I know since I started soaping I look at the oil section in the grocery store in a whole new light.
They have rice bran oil @ TSC? How much is it?

It's $24 something for a gallon of it.

It's with the horse stuff.......

Paul was the one who let me know I could find it there, and evern though it's a little more, I don't have to pay shipping so it comes out cheaper for me in the long run.

I still have 4 gallons left from me buying 6 gallons from Riceland Rice this summer. I absolutely love RBO replacing 40 to 50% of my Olive Oil. Mine cost me $8.00 per gallon including shipping! WOW.
Give RBO a try in soap, I changed over to adding it over a year ago. Tractors Supply was my first gallon.

Here is a direct link to Riceland Rice 6-1 gallon oil for purchase. It runs $41.53 plus shipping!

http://www.riceland.com/consumers/gifts ... asp?pid=69

They also sell it in a 35 pound single container for a better price per gallon! For 35 pounds, or about 5 gallons, it only costs $28.66 plus shipping! Here is that direct URL;

http://www.riceland.com/consumers/gifts ... asp?pid=76

Paul :wink:

faithy said:
I do about 11% Castor because I am a bubble freak. :D That first day out of the mold, it is a bit soft, but then it is just fine.

Back