Help with a new lotion bar/ bath melt experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brit B

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and so far it seems super helpful and wonderful, so I'm excited to start getting involved.

I had a wild idea for this new product I want to make (I won't give too many details yet in case it ends up a failure!) The gist is that I need to create a lotion bar that won't melt during shipping, only when introduced to bath water. It is going to be pretty thin as well to start.
I'm about to start testing formulations so any advice I cant get would be greatly appreciated!! So far I'm thinking no to coconut oil and also thinking that I want to do a very small amount of beeswax if any in fear of it becoming too hard.
The starting recipe is probably:
11g carrier oils
2g shea butter
6g beeswax
3g cocoa butter

Lotion bars are not a new product, but will require an emulsifier to actually make them a bath bar. I do not make them although I have, but I doubt you will ever be able to stop them from melting during shipping in the summer. I suppose you could make the product and jar it instead of making bars so a person could scoop some out of the jar. But you would have to seal it well because it will most likely melt. Some of the folks here make them so will offer more help I am sure

I make solid lotion bars and use them in or after the shower. Been making them for years. I don’t ship don’t the summer. Though most use them in the fall/winter.

I have made solid scrub bars with btms and poly 60 (or 80). It has been a very long time since I made them so I would have to look at the recipe to see what all else was in them (pretty sure that there was cocoa butter in them too). They left your skin feeling quite moisturized. If you left out the sugar and added another hardener or upped the cocoa butter they might work for what you want..

I also have made a solid scrub bar with BTMS & cocoa butter....but I still doubt it's ability to be shipped in the summer. If it melts in the shower/bath water or on the skin, it definitely won't withstand summer temps.

Latest posts

Back