Help with a Lye Reaction and Spill !!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aineclarke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I recently decided I wanted to try making soap. Today was my first day trying it. I watched videos and read articles trying to prepare myself to use the lye and of course I still messed up. I decided to use an older pan to mix my water and lye and turns out it was aluminum. Right away, I knew it reacted wrong and before it bubbled over, I took it outside. It ended up pouring over a little onto my deck. Once it had stopped smoking, I drenched the area in cold water. Is that enough to clean the area? I have a dog and am worried about her.

Also, I rinsed the pan out, and cleaned it multiple times. Is it no longer safe to use? I can still smell the reaction on it, so I am worried I will need to throw it out. My mom has an attachment to the pan so I am praying I can somehow salvage it.

(Afterwards I made a batch in a plastic container and it came out great so far, I am hopeful this is a learning mistake and I can continue to make soap in the future)

Thank you for any help you can give!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
@Ford is correct - the pan must be tossed. Your deck should be fine now that you have rinsed it, although there will probably be a permanent mark on it.

Sorry that happened to you. It can be easy to miss the part about not using any metals other than stainless steel.

Last edited:
It ended up pouring over a little onto my deck. Once it had stopped smoking, I drenched the area in cold water. Is that enough to clean the area? I have a dog and am worried about her.

Also, I rinsed the pan out, and cleaned it multiple times. Is it no longer safe to use? I can still smell the reaction on it, so I am worried I will need to throw it out. My mom has an attachment to the pan so I am praying I can somehow salvage it.
Yes, your deck and dog will be fine.

No, you cannot every use that pan again...toss it.

Latest posts

Back