Help with a lard recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive never used the Armour lard, but I want to try a batch for comparison sake. I'm not real sure what to use with it, I have on hand coconut oil, oil palm kernel flakes, olive oil, avocado oil, canola oil, crisco shortening, grapeseed oil and castor.

I was thinking 20% lard, 20% palm, 20% coconut, 20% oo, 15% avocado, and 5% castor. Thoughts?

I would keep it simpler. I wouldn't use palm with lard. I made a batch of lard soap for a friend who is allergic to coconut. I used 75% lard, 20% OO, 5% castor. It's ok if you're allergic to coconut but I would definitely use coconut for the lather if there's no reason not to . Also castor. Avocado I'm not sure.

I would keep it simpler. I wouldn't use palm with lard. I made a batch of lard soap for a friend who is allergic to coconut. I used 75% lard, 20% OO, 5% castor. It's ok if you're allergic to coconut but I would definitely use coconut for the lather if there's no reason not to . Also castor. Avocado I'm not sure.
So... my above recipe looks ok?

I would do a Lard, CO, Avocado & Castor batch. You could also use CO & PKO together 50/50. I love lard soap and like avocado. I use it a 15% when I use it. I would do more like 45% Lard, 20% CO, 10% Avocado, 10 Olive and 5% Castor.

I would do a Lard, CO, Avocado & Castor batch. You could also use CO & PKO together 50/50. I love lard soap and like avocado. I use it a 15% when I use it. I would do more like 45% Lard, 20% CO, 10% Avocado, 10 Olive and 5% Castor.

I'm wondering why when I see SF members adding castor oil it is usually only 5%? Castor oil has wonderful lather and with lard wouldn't 10% still be a hard bar?

I'm wondering why when I see SF members adding castor oil it is usually only 5%? Castor oil has wonderful lather and with lard wouldn't 10% still be a hard bar?
Most people only use 5% because the benefits you receive from using castor can easily be achieved by using that small of an amount and a higher amount is not needed. Also, usually when using castor at higher amounts you can get a sticky/tacky bar of soap where that sticky/tackiness never really goes away, or at least it does take a very long time too.

Your recipe looks fine to me. I've used both palm and lard and it makes a nice bar of soap. I usually just use one or the other though. If you haven't used lard before, try it without the palm to compare to your other soaps. Then do the combo to see how you like that. Personally I prefer lard over palm, but I don't normally use more than 40%.

I use this recipe , makes the best soap ever :)

Canola oil 25 %
Castor oil 15 %
Coconut oil 10 %
Lard 50 %

5% superfat.

Wow!! I'm glad that I waited!! I'll try tomorrow! I like the idea of leaving out the palm for comparison sake. I read somewhere, maybe here, not to heat the lard over 120% or it would smell funny, is there validity to this? Should it not be used in hp?

I read somewhere, maybe here, not to heat the lard over 120% or it would smell funny, is there validity to this? Should it not be used in hp?

I don't take temperatures of my oils. However, I melt only my hard oils (lard, CO, Shea) until just about melted. Then I just stir until they are all melted. Once melted I add my liquid oils. Getting it too hot can make the lard smell.

I read somewhere, maybe here, not to heat the lard over 120% or it would smell funny, is there validity to this? Should it not be used in hp?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - which I learned by accident. Normally I do melt with as little heat as possible by turning the burner off and letting the covered pot sit on the warm burner. But sometimes I forget...

My lye is almost always room temp. I masterbatch it most of the time. If not masterbatched then it's just slightly warm to the touch on the outside of the container.

Back