Help with a couple different recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleSoaper

Reaction score
My goal is to make a simple, unscented soap that will not dry my skin. I made these using the CPHP method, and would appreciate some input on the recipes...

1. 100% coconut oil, superfatted 20%. This made a really nice white, lathery soap, but I'm wondering if I can up the superfat to 25% and get a more conditioning soap. Or will it be too oily at 25%?

2. 60% olive, 20% palm, 15% coconut, and 5% caster oil, superfatted 5%. I just made this one tonight and it came out of the mold pretty oily. Would this one be better with no superfatting?

SimpleSoaper,
Welcome to the forum.
You ma want to check out this link: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49627
It's a good place to start seeing what different recipes will do without actually using up ingredients.

Super fatting (SF) is fat that has not had enough lye exposure to become soap. It does not really provide much conditioning rather than prevent over cleansing by using up some of the cleansing effects of the soap.
There are many much more experienced and knowledgeable soapers on the forum than this one so stick around. You've come to the right place to learn how to soap.

Steve

First, I never fully decide on a recipe until it has fully cured. For me...that is 8 weeks. The olive oil recipe that came out of the mold oily...how long did it sit before unmolding? Some recipes just need longer in the mold than others. A reason to take really good notes, so that you know the ins and outs of all the various recipes that you make. Experimenting is so much fun!

As for the coconut recipe, it's a hit and miss from what I read. I would read over and over about how people loved the 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat and how it lathered really well, and left their skin smooth and silky etc...well, I finally broke down and made it for myself. It is the first soap I have made that I have truly not liked in any way. Even after the full cure I feel like I've put my hands into bleach water they are so tight, dry, with that weird white look when you scratch the back of your hand with your fingernail. The lather in my water isn't that great at all, it's very slight and thick and creamy...not overly bubbly at all. With the high superfat after washing, it doesn't feel like it is rinsing, and I feel like I have oil on my hands...oil that won't come off.

I superfat at 20% in other soap recipes and it does not feel this way when I wash my hands, or when I shower, just with the coconut oil soap. And it's a soap that no one in the house likes, yet it still gets raves all over the internet...it's just not for us.

One of the best ways to experiment is to use a basic ratio and make small batches, then make small changes. It will be easier to tell what makes a difference and what doesn't when there is something that is a constant. Always take good notes so when you have a win.....you can make it again and again. :)

I have to say, while I do like the 100% coconut oil soap (I used the same superfat and coconut oil too) I'm not sure it would be best for drier skin types. You can try it to see if your skin likes it but don't feel bad if your skin hates it. Just be prepared. Your second recipe looks fine. If you have dry skin, I'd actually bump up the superfat a touch but not over 10%.

Both recipes looks like it could use at least a three month cure before you can seriously judge them. The first because of suggestions floating around and the sencond mostly because of the amount of olive oil used.

That said, welcome and happy soaping. :)

A good basic recipe for beginners usually looks much like this:

Lard/Tallow/Palm 50-80%
Olive Oil 20-30%
Coconut Oil 10-20%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5-8%

The reason is that we know how that will turn out; firm bar to unmold, good bubbles without overly drying most people's skin, and no 6 month curing time. Not to mention that it is just a good bar of soap.

I agree with Susie. Give it a try. 100% CO soap is certainly a personal choice. I happen to like it but it's not my favorite. Both your tried recipes will require a good cure. The CO 4-6 weeks the high OO 8 weeks at least. I've found high OO recipes perform better with a longer cure.

Thanks to all who replied, and sorry for not following up sooner.

Both of these soaps were hot process, so they were firm as soon as they cooled. I tried the coconut oil soap the next day just to see how it was, and it didn't dry my skin as much as other soaps I've used and felt like it rinsed really clean. I put the rest away to age for a few weeks before trying again. I'll probably make another batch at 25% superfat just to see how it is. I was just wondering if anyone else superfatted 100% CO at 25%.

Soap #2 was also hot process and it felt and smelled much like a pure olive oil 5% SF HP soap I made a few weeks ago. I guess with the coconut and palm oil I was expecting it to be firmer and less oily (or slimy). I'll leave it to cure with my other olive oil soaps.

I'm making small 12 oz. batches in a little crock pot, so I'm just trying a bunch of different recipes to see what appeals to me. I'll try the palm based beginner recipe that Susie gave and add that to my growing collection.

Thanks again to all.

Check out www.millersoap.com, she has a lot of recipes for all veg soaps. I'm not a palm person. I really like 10% cocoa butter in my veggie soaps, but be aware that it gets thick vast!

I recommend this with reservations b/c I know a lot of people discourage new soapers from it, but I love 5% beeswax. Just plan to soap it hot or HP it.

I love my shea butter soap it feels slightly waxy and I love it. Haven't tried adding beeswax but will definitely as soon as Christmas is over.

Back