Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjay66

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I’ve been making soap for a few months now, and I keep getting batches with white spots on them.
I think it’s either titanium dioxide or kaolin clay. Any ideas?
How can I prevent it in the future?
Thanks In advance!

Attachments

• F921D760-002B-4C66-A687-DC0A3E5542CC.png
    F921D760-002B-4C66-A687-DC0A3E5542CC.png
    373.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 6A3E35E4-2FEE-49A4-9A54-9B3A3BD57CB0.jpeg
    6A3E35E4-2FEE-49A4-9A54-9B3A3BD57CB0.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 49
Looks like both undissolved TD and wire bumps. Aesthetic only, and should cure out fine. To prevent in the future, make sure the TD is dissovled in a little oil or water before adding it to the oils or batter, and for the wire bumps, let the soap sit out of the log for a while before cutting.

Thank you! I disolved the td in water and used a mini electric mixer so it shouldn’t really be that. But I can definitely be a bit impatient when it comes to the cutting. I’ll try my hardest to leave it out longer - just so tempting to see what it looks like inside haha

I disolved the td in water and used a mini electric mixer so it shouldn’t really be that.
It shouldn't be, but TD is tricky, and if it settles, or if you used oil soluble instead of water soluble, it may not have all dispersed. There are a lot of people that get those little TD specks even when making sure it's dissolved and mixed properly.

If you run your finger across the white spots and if they are TD they will smear. As mentioned above, TD is tricky, you may think it is mixed well but find it was not when the soap is poured. I always found it almost impossible to completely mix so I would mix a large amount in a mason jar stir and only pour off the top, through a fine strainer I kept just for TD. After a few years I completely quit using TD.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t realise td could be so tricky. Now I’m almost certain it is, as yes it does smear. How would I know whether the td is oil or water soluble? I didn’t even realise there was a difference.
Cmzah - Will definitely try some of your tips, thanks. Do you use anything in replacement of td? I’ve read some things about it being potentially toxic, so I’m tempted to not use it either...

Do you use anything in replacement of td? I’ve read some things about it being potentially toxic, so I’m tempted to not use it either...
White mica or zinc oxide - don't make as white a white as TD though....

There have been comparisons, if you search, they're fairly recent

What i've done as of late w/ TD is add to hot oils, no pre-mixing in water or oil, Then blend the hell out of it & blend some more tell it is good & smooth, then I'll add the Lye to oil when both are at the temp I need. W/ so much blending you will get more air bubbles in soap batter. Happy Soaping 💫🧼

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I didn’t realise td could be so tricky. Now I’m almost certain it is, as yes it does smear. How would I know whether the td is oil or water soluble? I didn’t even realise there was a difference.
Cmzah - Will definitely try some of your tips, thanks. Do you use anything in replacement of td? I’ve read some things about it being potentially toxic, so I’m tempted to not use it either...
Nope, I just deal with discoloration. It is so much easier, or I strain the td through a micro-fine strainer when I wanted to use it. Whether TD is water or oil based it is almost impossible to keep it completely smooth no matter what you do, it is just pesky stuff. My daughter had a hand mixer she used and would mix her td in a quart jar using glycerin. After a lot of mixing and letting it sit a few days, she would mix again and strain through cheesecloth. More work than I would go through. Like Dawni mentioned above, I have used white mica.

Last edited:
I premix my titanium dioxide in a ketchup style bottle with stainless steel mixing balls. I make up about a months worth ahead of time. Just shake really well when I need it. When it’s used up, I clean out the bottle and start again. Since premixing the TD, I never get any uneven areas or streaks.

Latest posts

Back