Help! What is this and is my soap ok

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
Second time making this recipe and FO. Liquid smells like FO. Have it in front of a fan currently.

Attachments

• 20210510_160850.jpg
    20210510_160850.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210510_160900.jpg
    20210510_160900.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210510_161448.jpg
    20210510_161448.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 69
Unfortunately my phone won’t let me read the recipe so someone else will need to check that. But given the texture, the caverns, and seeping liquid I‘d to say no, the soap is not okay. I highly suspect it overheated to the point of separation. What is the fragrance you used, and what were the additives?

Nurture Soaps Somali Soul FO. additives sodium lactate, sodium gluconate, goats milk powder, TD and mica
The reviews don’t mention overheating, but the sugar in goats milk can cause it. Did you soap at higher temps, insulate, or oven process the soap?

The soap is likely lye heavy. Some people rebatch it, but I have no experience with that (I don’t know if oil needs to be added). I’d like to hear what someone with experience with this issues recommends.

It's weird I've made 20 batches with the goats milk powder up to now. I did pour the mica layer at a thinner trace so that may be it

I tried the zap test and tastes like soap

I just finished grating it all and going to try oven rebatch after dinner bc crockpot doesn't seem to work well for me. ( can't get it smooth enough to pour)

It looks like too much mica in the swirls. When I zoom in on the soap it seems as if the problems are only in the areas with the colored batter. Is this correct?
When I first started using micas, I had this happen when I added more mica to get a deeper color (instead of getting a darker mica) and got similar results. The colored areas weeped FO and had caverns. The FO eventually reabsorbed, but those areas remained soft and crumbly, but did NOT zap. The soap was fine for personal use.

It looks like too much mica in the swirls. When I zoom in on the soap it seems as if the problems are only in the areas with the colored batter. Is this correct?
When I first started using micas, I had this happen when I added more mica to get a deeper color (instead of getting a darker mica) and got similar results. The colored areas weeped FO and had caverns. The FO eventually reabsorbed, but those areas remained soft and crumbly, but did NOT zap. The soap was fine for personal use.
Good thought. I'll cut down on the mica next time for the swirl. The rebatch kinda looked like barf so hoping it looks better in the am

Hmm...I see texture/mottling in the uncolored areas of the soap too, although it’s more pronounced in the colored. But those areas are more central, and more like to suffer the highest temps.

Latest posts

Back