Help! What are these white bits?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueGold

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Newbie here, I'm hoping someone could help me solve what this is (and excuse my naivety!):

PXL_20211126_095547694.jpg

PXL_20211126_095033982.jpg

I've been making MP soap and love the process. I usually do base + fragrance oil + dye and leave them in the mould overnight before taking them out. Then it's packaged in a plastic pouch.

However, after about a couple months, I noticed that there seems to be some white curdled bits developing on the surface and even inside the translucent soap.

What are these and how do you get rid of it/prevent it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's encountered this!

One of my theory is that it's due to temperature changes? We've have irregular hot days and cold wet ones here...and maybe because it's inside a plastic pouch?? Help!

Adz

^^ The base is from Stephensons range if that helps.

I'm not an M&P expert by any means, and this puzzles me. It looks like soda ash, but I've never heard of that happening with M&P.

What fragrance oil and dye did you add? Any other additives? And are these bars used or unused?

Without knowing what base you used, it looks like your soap sweated and evaporated leaving that. Humidity and temperature fluctuations are most likely the cause. What has the climate been the past few months compared to before? If you began during a time of year with relatively stable day-to-day weather, and now the weather is fluctuating more and more, you would absolutely notice the difference. I would suggest using "low sweat" melt and pour; or maybe invest in a dehumidifier. Or even just paying closer attention to keeping your indoor climate stable.

Soap contains glycerin, which attracts hydration/moisture. The more glycerin, the more likely it is to attract moisture.

Wow, thank you all for the amazing and quick responses!

@AliOop - I used Stephenson Crystal PF (Palm Free), propriety Fragrance oil and liquid dyes and that's it. no other additives. this is an unused bar. hmmmmm

@CreativeWeirdo - I think you may be right. I have noticed that some of my soaps sweated after taking out of the mould, but then I always let it dry out for a few hours before placing inside a plastic pouch. In Sydney, Australia we have had crazy unpredictable weather lately, for example we would get all 4 seasons in the space of one day, then sunny next day then wet, cold, sunny, etc. Thank you, I'll have to just keep monitoring I think... The base is Stephenson Crystal PF (Palm Free).

@Nona'sFarm -
I used this kind of pouch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19zAApc3-_XZF5gCorp-a4OPsHRvhVVTv/view?usp=sharing

But I don't heat seal the top bit as I thought it might be 'sealed' enough. I'll try and see if heat sealing could improve the result. 🤞

Out of curiosity, I also cut the bar to see how deep it penetrated inside and it's about 3-5mm (0.11811 - 0.19685 inches) which leads me to believe that you all are probably right that it's glycerin/dew that's built up and evaporated over time (both inside and out).

DSC04986-EDIT.jpg

Maybe it won't be as obvious if I use a white base but I need it to be translucent to get that bright colour effect 🧐

I wish there was a base that just doesn't get affected by weather...wishful thinking hmmph!
There is - Low Sweat Base, but it has its limitations. Not good for layering, doesn't feel as good on the skin are my 2 complaints.

I think your pouches might be part of the problem- not airtight. Try wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. Twist each end tightly and secure with tape. Here is an example:
20211129_130015.jpg20211129_130026.jpg

@Nona'sFarm - Thank you! Yes, I've tried low seat and I agree, I don't like the skin feel either. Re: plastic wrap, I think you are right, over the past few days I have been looking around the internet to find some suitable airtight packaging that doesn't involve plastic kitchen wrap (I was hoping to make the wrap 'look' a bit different).

@Mobjack Bay oh wow! I've never heard of 'blooming' before!! I will definitely investigate this. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back