HELP! What’s happening with my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SoapLover1 Unfortunately, boiling the water may kill bacteria, but will not remove the metals that cause rancidity or DOS.

Also, DOS is just one form or sign of rancidity. The soap can be rancid without any visual spots whatsoever. It may have only a bad smell, or the sweaty slickness. Whether accompanied by DOS or not, rancidity can be caused by using non-distilled water, rancid base oils, or rancid EOs - or from other factors such as storing in a damp location, in direct sunlight, or in contact with non-stainless metals.

@MicheleH besides refrigerating your EOs and base oils, are you able to purchase a countertop distilling machine? We have them available easily from Amazon here in the US, ranging from about $70US to a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a link to an example of what I am suggesting: Countertop Distiller.
Thanks for your link - I will definitely look into getting a desktop distiller. :)

I use tap water and boil it to drive off the chlorine and then left to stand for 24 hours. The water that we are supplied with is really good, fresh off the Pennines (hills in Yorkshire)

This just happened to me!

Have only been CP soaping for a year (just a hobbyist)... have made 6 perfect / varied batches so far - but with my current batch, I keep smelling vinegar on my fingers after I handle the bars. (They are in the second week of curing, and the scent of the bar itself smells fine...) Used distilled water, EVOO / CO / Castor / Sunflower / Shea, plus some cambrian blue clay (have used the same batch before without incident), plus essential oils (all under a year from purchase). I have a fan on the bars for curing, so it's not an air circulation problem. What is going on?!

Wondering if I should pitch them or if they will be ok to give away.

Back