HELP! What’s happening with my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicheleH

Reaction score
I have been making soap for about 3 years, and I recently started selling (all recipes are assessed according to EU regulations). All along I have been generally happy with my soaps, but out of the blue I start getting problems. Some of my bars seem to sweat, and there’s a stinky, vinegar smell on my fingers after I have touched them. This is not all bars in a batch, only a couple. On two batches it appeared two weeks into curing, so pretty immediate (they were different recipes but made on the same day). Today I noticed it also on another bar, made the day prior to the other two faulty ones, but that is now 3 months ago. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is??

My guess is the soap is going rancid. A slightly acidic, musty, or "off" odor is common. Rancid soap can also get a slick wet layer on all or part of the surface. The color usually changes as well -- it gets more of a yellow or orange tinge. About 3 months would be a reasonable time for rancidity to develop.

You don't say anything about the fats you use in your soap, so I can't help you learn if you are using fats with a short shelf life. Or whether you might be using additives or fragrances that could contribute to the problem. Photos would be helpful. Smell your fats and see if one or more smells "off" like your soap smells.

Rancidity that develops over all or large parts of the soap is usually linked to the ingredients. More: Rancidity and DOS | Soapy Stuff

Thanks for your reply DeeAnna. My recipe is pretty basic; 54% OO, 28% CO, 11% Shea and 7% Castor. It is coloured with different clays and scented using EOs.
I have smelled all my drums, but nothing seems to be off. There's also at least 1 year left to expiry on all my oils and fats.
Is it possible there's something in the water? I used tap water... Or storage? they are cured in a spare closet next to the bathroom. With the teenagers showering, it gets a little damp at times. :)

I have been making soap for about 3 years, and I recently started selling (all recipes are assessed according to EU regulations). All along I have been generally happy with my soaps, but out of the blue I start getting problems. Some of my bars seem to sweat, and there’s a stinky, vinegar smell on my fingers after I have touched them. This is not all bars in a batch, only a couple. On two batches it appeared two weeks into curing, so pretty immediate (they were different recipes but made on the same day). Today I noticed it also on another bar, made the day prior to the other two faulty ones, but that is now 3 months ago. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is??
I too have this problem a "Vinegar Scent On Fingers" after touching soap' this happens w/ my CP soap only! not HP. I couldn't find any info on the net ? I thought it was my body chemistry reacting to soap? dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️ my oils are not out of code either or soap issn't rancid or have a off scent or off coloring on my soap even after 6-7 months. Oh I use distilled water in all soap cause of a chance of yucky's but I haven't used a "preservative" though i'm gonna implement that.

Last edited:
Is it possible there's something in the water? I used tap water...

Could be...city water is treated with chemicals plus you have natural minerals that aren't filtered out. I know that getting distilled water in the UK is difficult, not sure how it is in Norway. I have some friends that do a lot of RVing (caravaning) and they have countertop filtration systems (Berkey). They are initially a little on the spendy side...around $300USD, but it comes with 2 filters with each being good for 6000 gals. You might be able to find something similar there.

I too have this problem a "Vinegar Scent On Fingers" after touching soap' this happens w/ my CP soap only! not HP. I couldn't find any info on the net ? I thought it was my body chemistry reacting to soap? dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️. my oils are not out of code either or rancidity or off scent or coloring on my soap soap smell & looks great.
I haven't been able to find any info on the net either, it's such a mystery! The colour of the soap is fine, but on the two that happened on the same day, one of them seems to be very low on smell. It's there, but very faint. I put one of them to use, and it performs fine, but it seems to be a bit softer than usual. It's very different to DOS, so I can't seem to work it out 🤷🏻‍♀️ Do you get it all CP soap or just occasionally?

Could be...city water is treated with chemicals plus you have natural minerals that aren't filtered out. I know that getting distilled water in the UK is difficult, not sure how it is in Norway. I have some friends that do a lot of RVing (caravaning) and they have countertop filtration systems (Berkey). They are initially a little on the spendy side...around $300USD, but it comes with 2 filters with each being good for 6000 gals. You might be able to find something similar there.
Thanks for your suggestion TheGecko - I have started using battery water to see if this helps. I am aware distilled is what I ideally would want to use, but it is really hard to come by and cost a fortune way up here back and beyond. :rolleyes:

EOs can also go rancid, and it can be harder to smell with those. Lavender in particular is known for being problematic, but they can all start to oxidize. And tap water can contain impurities that can also cause rancidity.
Yes, that could potentially be the culprit... I get most my supplies shipped in from EU/UK and it is ridiculously expensive having it shipped here, so I normally bulk up. Perhaps I should start to refridgerate my EOs to reduce the temperature fluctuations?

I haven't been able to find any info on the net either, it's such a mystery! The colour of the soap is fine, but on the two that happened on the same day, one of them seems to be very low on smell. It's there, but very faint. I put one of them to use, and it performs fine, but it seems to be a bit softer than usual. It's very different to DOS, so I can't seem to work it out 🤷🏻‍♀️ Do you get it all CP soap or just occasionally?
Just some soaps. Its Frustrating ugh. Oh for the record " I absolutely hate the smell or taste of vinegar ' so needless to say I hate the scent on my fingers. Now this is interesting I had Hubby touch soap and see if he had the scent of vinegar on his fingers' same bar None! so strange..

Yes, that could potentially be the culprit... I get most my supplies shipped in from EU/UK and it is ridiculously expensive having it shipped here, so I normally bulk up. Perhaps I should start to refridgerate my EOs to reduce the temperature fluctuations?
Refrigerating your bulk EOs is probably a good idea, regardless of if they are causing problems yet. The same if you have any liquid oils that you don't go through very quickly.

It’s a good idea to refrigerate essential oils, especially if you are buying in bulk and not using them up in a reasonable time frame.

Just some soaps. Its Frustrating ugh. Oh for the record " I absolutely hate the smell or taste of vinegar ' so needless to say I hate the scent on my fingers. Now this is interesting I had Hubby touch soap and see if he had the scent of vinegar on his fingers' same bar None! so strange..
WHAAT? That is so strange! Perhaps it's like you say, something in our chemistry 😆 Or perhaps we are not quite human👻

Thanks for your reply DeeAnna. My recipe is pretty basic; 54% OO, 28% CO, 11% Shea and 7% Castor. It is coloured with different clays and scented using EOs.
I have smelled all my drums, but nothing seems to be off. There's also at least 1 year left to expiry on all my oils and fats.
Is it possible there's something in the water? I used tap water... Or storage? they are cured in a spare closet next to the bathroom. With the teenagers showering, it gets a little damp at times. :)
Michele, I make a similar recipe all the time. I've never had a vinegary smell. If I get DOS the orange spots show up first, and its not until the orange gets really bad that the soap smells musty or stinky but never vinegary. I agree it could be something in your water. You might want to put some of your water in a sealed container and smell it after a few weeks to see if it smells vinegary. You also made a comment that some of your soaps sweat. If the area you are curing them in doesn't have good air flow, then the sweat doesn't have a chance to evaporate. Maybe the sweat is growing some mold or bacteria that is giving off the vinegary smell? You could try increasing the air flow and see if that helps.

I too have this problem a "Vinegar Scent On Fingers" after touching soap' this happens w/ my CP soap only! not HP. I couldn't find any info on the net ? I thought it was my body chemistry reacting to soap? dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️ my oils are not out of code either or soap issn't rancid or have a off scent or off coloring on my soap even after 6-7 months. Oh I use distilled water in all soap cause of a chance of yucky's but I haven't used a "preservative" though i'm gonna implement that.
Hi.
You should always use Distilled Water in your soap Recipes. Tap water is a No-No!

Hi.
You should always use Distilled Water in your soap Recipes. Tap water is a No-No!
Distilled and reverse osmosis water can be much more expensive and harder to come by in other countries. They're better, but I understand why a lot of soapers would risk it with tap water instead.

Then boil your water for 10 minutes if you must use tap. Thanks for the insight! I love learning and you taught me something I didn’t know!

@SoapLover1 Unfortunately, boiling the water may kill bacteria, but will not remove the metals that cause rancidity or DOS.

Also, DOS is just one form or sign of rancidity. The soap can be rancid without any visual spots whatsoever. It may have only a bad smell, or the sweaty slickness. Whether accompanied by DOS or not, rancidity can be caused by using non-distilled water, rancid base oils, or rancid EOs - or from other factors such as storing in a damp location, in direct sunlight, or in contact with non-stainless metals.

@MicheleH besides refrigerating your EOs and base oils, are you able to purchase a countertop distilling machine? We have them available easily from Amazon here in the US, ranging from about $70US to a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a link to an example of what I am suggesting: Countertop Distiller.

Some of my bars seem to sweat, and there’s a stinky, vinegar smell on my fingers after I have touched them. This is not all bars in a batch, only a couple. On two batches it appeared two weeks into curing, so pretty immediate (they were different recipes but made on the same day). Today I noticed it also on another bar, made the day prior to the other two faulty ones, but that is now 3 months ago. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is??

bacteria growing in a cool moist environment can produce acetic acid which gives a vinegar smell

sourdough bread makers know that this smell in a starter culture means the batch needs to be kept in a warmer place

for you it means youve got bacteria growing

i agree the water needs changing
also look at curing in a warmer place with more airflow

Back