Help using Vetiver

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martha

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently bought some Vetiver because a friend used it as part of her perfume (lavender, patchouli and vetiver essential oil). I was really taken aback by how strong the essential oil is. Does anyone have any advice for how much to use in cp soap? Let’s say I wanted to do the lavender, patchouli, vetiver blend. What % vetiver would you suggest for it to not be overpowering? And do you have any favorite eos to blend with it?

Your idea of lavender, patchouli, and vetiver sounds lovely! You can find Eo blends on EOCalc.com. Here is one that includes all three of those: Whimsy EO Blend

You can also use their calculator to make your own blend. Since patch and vetiver are strong base notes, you probably want to use 10% or less of each of those, plus quite a bit more lavender, and maybe a middle note to balance it out.

Start at 1% in your blend and work your way up. It is uber strong. Lemongrass and Vetiver is one of my favorites in lotion.
I've not tried lemongrass with vetiver but you've intrigued me so I may try it. I do prefer to hoard my vetiver for leave-on products since it's a bit pricey for soap unless I'm making it as a special gift.

There's a blend I like which is very similar the Whimsy one listed above, but with sandalwood FO instead of the amyris EO, and more geranium, less lavender. Even with 7% vetiver and 8% patch, it's wonderful.

Thanks! These suggestions are very helpful. I looked on The eo calculator, but must have missed whimsy. Maybe because I have never heard of one of the ingredients. It’s a great starting point. I may try @AliOop s version with sandalwood.

I remember reading that because of the strength of vetiver, someone (I think Marie from Humble bee and me) only dipped a toothpick into it, and used the toothpick to blend her mix. She usually makes small amounts of things though, this may have been for a perfume.

I am probably desensitized to how strong vetiver smells to everyone else, bc I regularly use it with helichrysum and other EOs in a roll-on blend that helps calm my husband’s shaky hands from PD.

Since you already find it overpowering OOB, I’d go with @cmzaha ’s recommendation and start with much less than the 7% recommended in that blend. It’s easy to add more but impossible to take it out once it is mixed!

Last edited:
I am probably desensitized to how strong vetiver smells to everyone else, bc I regularly use it with helichrysum and other EOs in a roll-on blend that helps calm my husband’s shaky hands from PD.

Since you already find it overpowering OOB, I’d go with @cmzaha ’s recommendation and start with much less than the 7% recommended in that blend. It’s easy to add more but impossible to take it out once it is mixed!
That makes sense. Thanks

Latest posts

Back